Cleopatra and Mark Antony

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by MarcusAntonius, Apr 22, 2021.

1. MarcusAntonius

MarcusAntonius Well-Known Member

That is a very beautiful specimen, exceptional! Love it

AncientJoe likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MarcusAntonius

jdmKY likes this.
  4. MarcusAntonius

Rectification, while Grain would be originating from the other side of the Mediterranean Sea do Tomatoes originate from South America (5 centuries ago). Don't know why I mentioned this here (probably because the most typical Italian products like pasta & pizza are based on exotic non Italian ingredients).

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Garum and other types of fish sauces were the stereotypical Italian food products during the Roman era. They put fish sauce on EVERYTHING and the population would riot in the streets if they didn't have it.

If you think that is weird, think of where it ended up. One form of it morphed further inland in Europe where they couldn't get fish as easily into another product. The locals took seeds of a greens plant they ate that were fairly spicy, ground then up and added in vinegar. That became mustard, the first fish sauce substitute. Later on, a chinese version was popular in the colonies when a New Jersey tomato farmer, looking for a way to expand his market, made a tomato based substitute with tomatoes, salt, vinegar, and spices. The version popular in the colonies was called kat-suep, which became tomato ketchup.

People hearing about fermented fish sauce get all "that is so gross", not knowing it is the direct predecessor of modern day ketchup and mustard.

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I'm not certain about other Asian cultures, but in Vietnam they still use a fermented fish souce on just about everything. It's called Nước Chấm and believe it or not, it's quite tasty.

MarcusAntonius likes this.
  7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Its nam pla in Thailand. My wife uses it for many dishes. I actually like it in food. If you smell it it literally smells like wet butt, but in food its good. I liken it to stinky cheese, like swiss, that can smell badly but taste good in food.

MarcusAntonius and Ryro like this.
  8. MarcusAntonius

Wow, we made quite a interesting detour, way off topic, we should have a ChefCoinTalk as well, derived from CoinTalk. You are raising my appetite though, myself: using Mustard to marinate about anything and make our own Hot pepper sauces which make you cry instantly when you take of the lid! But I agree, stinky fish sauce is the best, even for a major hangover.... once you smell it will it make you run.

9. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

Limes and philologus_1 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted