Clearly Some people have too much money and not enough brains

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrbrklyn, Oct 19, 2008.

1. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Oh I believe it man...some coin collector's are pretty crazy. They make those hard-core stamp collector's look like a bunch of sissies. :eek:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

there was once at a big show me and Rg sitting at a table discussing world coins. Out comes this heavy weight monster yelling and screaming and arguing about the grade PCGS gave him eats 30 mins of our time totally rude uncivil. some people think because they have the money they can behave anyway they like. i told RG he was nice to take that BS i would have had asked the guy to get lost. whats worse the guy had bought all the coins from heritage and was trying to get a bump by playing a crackout game. sickening. if i had seen only those kind of people i would have quit coins a long time ago

4. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Yikes. I have never understood how money makes people think they are so important. I really hope that once I get through school and have a little money I don't act that way.

5. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

i used to spend about 30 -40k a year on coins and i have other hobbies and i have never acted like a jerk so yes dont allow yourself to be controlled by money

6. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

You should see some of the threads about the Mint and Hard Currency
    You need to have a lot of patients to hang in any forum sometimes. Ignore features help just with that.

Ruben

7. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

I bet I am on a few ignores...;) maybe two in this thread...it concerns me that they will be missing all my witty remarks!!

8. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

LMAO!! Yeah, I can't say I have either.

I don't have anything against this guy. Perhaps Ruben thinks I'm just joining the mob against him because it's easier but I don't do that. If I really believed his views, I would be standing with him and with my own principles against everyone.

It would seem that we just see things from a different perspective. I believe his arguments have been answered several times and I don't know what else he's trying to gain or convince us of.

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

He better, since he helped to develop it and establish the current grading system we use.

10. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I know. That doesn't surprise me though. He actually thinks at the core that they have a higher accuracy then I think they do. In truth, even in his example where there is a 7/3 split on the judgment of a theoretical coin, so he predicts that a the man team is guaranteed to correctly grade it. BOINK, statistically INCORRECT. Each permutation, 3 for, 3 against, 2 for, 2 against, 1 for, one against, has a specific odds of happening in this case, and by testing the processes, you can determine to likelihood of outcomes.

Until these studies are done, and that is the first step of a validation process, he has no clue as to actual results. And I think that 3/7 is generous. But you would know better than me.

Ruben

11. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Come on Ruben. Take Lehigh up on his bet. Then we will all know for sure.

12. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

The other thing is that I think it would have to be impossible for a tones coined to receive a 70 grade. Obviously, no strike is designed to be purple or green. Really, I don't see how these coins can be even slabbed, expect for the most natural of toning, since they are damaged. When you see a rainbow Morgan, that is a seriously damaged coin.

Not worth a whole lot IMO.

Ruben

13. logical123

logical123 Senior Member

You know what I would do? I would take that ms70 out of the holder, and flick it, once. Then resubmit it, and watch the people CRY.:rolling:

To tell you the truth, I don't really like slabbed coins. They make a coin feel too heavy, and they are kinda bulky, and make it hard to put sets together. Not to mention the price. Heck, I just broke open a slab yesterday, to nestle the coin into my Lincoln Dansco album.:hammer: Personally, why have a coin when you can't even really breathe on it, or hold it (even with gloves on...)? VG - AU all the way baby. The occasional mint set is fine, and the occasional MS coin is fine for me, but I guess I just don't trust myself... And, lower grades cost less. :goofer:

14. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

WOW! Toning is inherently natural. Silver is not inert and nature causes it to react with the atmosphere which results in toning. You call it damage, I call it the beauty of nature's work.

The only reason that toning should reduce the grade of a coin is if it negatively affects the eye appeal of the coin. Toning is not considered an element of grade. Eye appeal is, and toning can have either a positive (rainbow toned), neutral (most toning), or negative (black or mottled) effect on eye appeal.

If you think that toned coins are not worth a premium, then don't pay it. If you think they shouldn't be slabbed because they are damaged, then I want you to consider this. If you find a silver coin that is over 100 years old without any noticeable patina, then you are probably looking at a coin that has been dipped. IMO, dipping is a form of cleaning. If you can determine that a coin has been dipped (cleaned), that is a legitimate reason to body bag a coin.

Your post is just another example of your ignorance of the subtleties of numismatics. The problem is that you present yourself as an expert which every seasoned collector on this board has already knows is far from the truth. However, because you are so dogmatic and forceful in your statements, it is entirely possible that some forum members without the experience to know better may actually believe the edited statements that you make with astounding frequency. I will make it my personal goal to refute and expose every edited statement that you post for what it is. I will do this so that the YN's on this forum can be led in the right direction.

PS. Take the bet!

15. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

<<You know what I would do? I would take that ms70 out of the holder, and flick it, once. Then resubmit it, and watch the people CRY.>>

Its a good thing you collect nickels...

I like the artistic example of coins and that can come in different grades in different coins. I think worn Barbara quarters have a specific charm. Some Buffs and Mercs can be interesting as worn specimens.

Other coins, like the SQL TypeI, I am attracted to mint specimens. But above MS66 it becomes a real coin toss aesthetically. In any event, individual coin examples all have their own charms to me which is why I enjoy going to a dealer and browsing.

Sometimes I'm delighted with something cheap.

Ruben

Draft saved Draft deleted