Cleaning your coins.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by National dealer, May 31, 2004.

1. npstables

npstables New Member

about toning,is it a good or bad thing on silver eagles?,i've have seem go at high prices... thanks Rob...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It depends on the toning and who is looking at it. Some can be beautiful and some can be downright ugly. As they say, beauty lies in the eye of the beholder.

4. poker_prof_AA

poker_prof_AA New Member

Is it safe cleaning any type of coins with deionized/distillled water with cotton balls/Q-tips. I used deionized water from a chemistry lab with a clean Q-tip to clean some darkening silver coins. Am i doing the right thing.:desk:

5. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

A bit of a soak in distilled water (no rubbing) is all I will do to a modern coin and not often, most I leave as I find them, of course these are well circulated old coins. I know the rule is not to clean but sometimes the coin is down right filthy and getting the caked grim off it makes it look 10 times better. It doesnt seem to effect the tone but does seem to thin out the crud, not that I sell coins.

6. GDJMSP

No - using a Q-Tip or cotton balls can leave hairline marks on the coin. The water won't hurt anything really, but it is generally best to leave coin alone unless they need cleaned to prevent further damage.

7. poker_prof_AA

poker_prof_AA New Member

If i were to use something with the water to clean the coin what kind of material do you recommend, thanks for the help.:thumb:

8. poker_prof_AA

poker_prof_AA New Member

P.S. something that will do not harm to the coin face. When it comes to my coins i just want to use the deionized water and some kind of cloth or something. I'm not interested in chemicals or anything, all i want is to clean it of the junk thats on it not make it shiny.

9. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

There is NO good way to clean coins---you will always lower the value.
    Now if the coin has PVC or something like that then you must clean it because it will eat the coin till there isn't anything left---but for darken silver---I doubt that it has PVC and I would leave it alone because most of the time you lower the value 50%+ .

Speedy

10. poker_prof_AA

poker_prof_AA New Member

:hammer: Thanx for the advice but again what kind of material should i use with the water to clean the coin?

11. Speedy

That is just it---you don't even clean coins with water---there is NO good way to clean a coin.

Speedy

12. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

I would give money to someone who could tell if a coin had soaked for a bit in distilled water...they cant...period.

13. Speedy

I would doubt that---I used to think the same way and did it some--and it seems to leave spots and marks sometimes---some of the marks come from how I dried them but some of the marks and most of the spots came from the water.

Speedy

14. poker_prof_AA

poker_prof_AA New Member

When a coin has spots left on it, a REDOX reaction has occured. The silver however appears lower on the REDOX table than pure water so the reaction cannot occur without the aid of electricity, and no I don't have my coin hooked into the wall blasting it with electricity. If the coin is quickly soaked with pure water nothing will happen. If it is soaked for a long time the ions from the **** on the coin may dissolve in the water creating a REDOX reaction which in turn will oxidize the surface of the silver coin. All i want to know is, is there a material that I can use that will not create scratch marks on the coin, I already tried Q-tips but they left tiny hairlike marks when magnified. If anyone can answer this question I would appreciate it. Any help is great.:cool:

15. Fish

Fish Half Cent Nut

Nope.

Fish

16. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

I agree, I am not saying soak it for a long time either...the fact of the matter is that old coins gather actual dirt. I soaked a pile of dirty mercury dimes in distilled water and when I pulled them out the dirt was cut but the toning was unchanged and they look so good, they were in great shape...I think I soaked them for several hours....twice...

I have never soaked a coin and had any effect of the surface, now water and electricity I dont would even use for an ancient (but it sure as hell will take off everything to the metal) unless you like your coins showing a few thousand years worth of pitting.

I am willing to admit that if it can be avoid to never clean a coin...but I dont recommend leaving dirt on it either...if the coin is circulated already and has dirt on it, a soak in distilled water will help it without doubt but again this is just my own experience and I DO examine the surfaces of my coins as I take macro photos of them and can see every little scratch and tiny poke.

If the coin has been in circulation or contact with soil you are probably doing a good thing by removing the grime. As it has been said though, to each his own but I can assure you there is no possible way of telling it a coin has been soaked for a bit in pure distilled water....to each his own but I think it over kill to say that distilled water soak for a dirty old coin is going to lower the value...

17. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

I should type slower next time, there is no edit here :)

18. poker_prof_AA

poker_prof_AA New Member

Drusus, I agree with you, a little distilled water can't hurt a coin. I'm still trying to get someone to tell me what I can use to remove dirt off my coins. Some kind of cloth or cotton balls maybe? I need to have something to wipe the crap off my coins after I soak them. What do you use Drusus.?:confused:

19. Fish

Fish Half Cent Nut

You could try compressed air if you're careful.

Fish

20. poker_prof_AA

poker_prof_AA New Member

compressed air i think is a horrible idea, the air contains traces of sulphites and mixed with the water will create the coin to oxidize.

21. GDJMSP

There is no cloth, cotton balls, Q-Tips or anything else that you can use to touch the surface of the coin that will not leave marks. Touching it with anything will leave marks. I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is.

As to the water - it's not the water itself that allows those with experience to tell the coin has been cleaned, it is what the water does to the contaminants on the surface of the coin. Yes it will remove some, but it will not remove all of them. To the untrained eye it may appear that coin looks better. But to somebody who knows what they are looking at they can tell that coin was cleaned. This is because of the traces of contaminants left on the coin. Those contaminants would not be there in that form unless the coin had been cleaned. This is the tell or the give-away of the cleaning, even with distilled water.

Now, I am not saying that soaking a coin in distilled water is considered as harsh cleaning. And many would not label a coin treated that way as cleaned. But please, don't fool yourself into thinking that just because you can't tell that it was done - that nobody else can either. Those with the appropriate knowledge and experience can.

Draft saved Draft deleted