Cleaning your coins.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by National dealer, May 31, 2004.

1. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

You guys have reached a level of esoteric humor i can't touch. Why not just a parking meter for a grave stone?

Ruben

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

And for kickers you should know this is a sticky thread so think of what the mewbies will say 15 years from now?

Ruben

4. manilagalleon

manilagalleon Member

never again will I clean a coin.

5. bob01081969

bob01081969 Member

Speedy I have a question I bought a mint set 1961 UC and the penny and nickel are both corroded inside the celo packageing, if I want to see if the nickels are full steps they would need to be cleaned otherwise their only good for one thing pocket change.
    If I want to know whats under the crud they will need to be cleaned one way or the other I have read about using Electrolysis any thoughts. Thanks Bob,

6. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

I would buy another set, and most likely, spend these. Once you clean off the coin, most likely you will have lowered the value so much that it will only be worth face anyway.

Speedy

7. Dex57

Dex57 New Member

Your post makes me wonder what a citrus cleaner would do-a product like "GooGone".
    This stuff take sticker and tape residue off without scrubbing, and rinses off.
    It will remove residue from cardboard packaging without damage if done carefully-
    Not sure what it will do to silver.
    Next time I get a chance I will try it on a silver cull-I have some with holes drilled, bent, these would be good for a test.
    I am not suggesting you clean ANY coin....but I personally would rather have a nice looking silver dollar than one with tape and crud on it. Were the coin of higher value then a conservator would be in order. Might be a good one to clean and give to a young collector for study, mark it 'cleaned' on the 2x2. Certainly don't buy a problem coin and hope to clean it....silk purses/sows ears and all that.
    I once removed paint from a Canadian silver dollar by carrying it with my change for a year...the paint flaked off and the coin was uniformly worn as it naturally clinked around in my pocket with the other ones...it was circulated before it got paint on it so it looked very natural after my "treatment"....again, however-not a high value coin to begin with. Might work in this case too-just "circulate" it some more!
    Sure not likely you will spend it by accident, as big and heavy as they are!
    good luck
    Looks like someone else considered GooGone-sorry to repeat, not used to this forum yet...

8. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

What can I do with this 1909. I can't even tell if it has VDB on it.
    The coin could look much better with this waxy greenish/blue substance on it. Should I leave it alone and live with it. I don't want to risk ruining it. Have another non key date cent with same stuff on it and so far haven't found anything that will remove it without ruing it. ANY SUGGESTIONS?--------------------zg

Attached Files:

9. Aslanmia

Aslanmia Active Member

Well, right now you have a problem coin that MIGHT be worth a buck or two. Even if it is a VDB, the most you could hope for is a coin worth 3 or 4 bucks in that condition so I wouldn't worry too much about ruining the coin with a cleaning especially if you're just trying to fill an album hole.

The first thing I would do is give it a quick bath in pure acetone and see if that can remove the waxy substance. If it doesn't budge, I'd soak it in olive oil for a few weeks/months and see if that can loosen up the muck.

Good luck!

10. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

This is a coin that needs to be cleaned IMHO. It is already a problem coin as it is...so you're not going to turn it into one. Furthermore, the coin is corroding and it will continue to do so unless it is cleaned. By cleaning it, the hope is to arrest the damage progression. There are various methods of doing this but I'm not knowledgeable enough to explain them. But, I can tell you something needs to be done.

What I suggest is to start a new thread in the Coin Chat forum and ask there. There are people there who can tell you exactly what to do. :)

11. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

Thanks for your input. I'll give a lot of TLC while trying to get that waxy substance off. Will re-post the results. zg

12. zzantiquities

zzantiquities New Member

Are you referring to modern coins or ancient coins?

I disagree if you are recommending people don't clean ancient uncleaned coins. Our distributors who purchase bulk uncleaned ancient coins from us clean the coins and attribute / identify them and sell a coin they purchased for 1.00 - 4.00 USD /coin for 10 - 20 - 40 - 80++ USD /coin.

Cleaning and identifying ancient coins significantly increases the resale value of the coins.

13. CamaroDMD

No, the general consensus I feel is that it is OK to clean ancients.

14. Isaiah

Isaiah New Member

never clean coins ever for any reason.

15. CamaroDMD

Coins can be properly cleaned...it just has to be done correctly. Most people (including me) don't have the skill to do it so they shouldn't. But, it can be done. The key is not damaging the coin. For example, a coin with ugly unattractive toning can be cleaned and if done correctly it will actually increase the value. This is done by dipping the coin which removes the toning and restores the original color and luster. However, overdipping the coin will remove the luster leaving it dull in appearance and thus ruining it.

16. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Some one please tell me how one is suppose to Id a Ancient that has over a thousand years worth of crud on it without cleaning it?? :eek:

17. Isaiah

Isaiah New Member

I never clean my few ancients that I have and never would I appreciate the "ancient crud" as part of the coin and it's history.

18. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

So if you recieve a unrecognisable lump as part of a uncleaned lot you would be happy to keep it as such? OK I can buy that but now tell me how you know what the coin is :D

19. Isaiah

Isaiah New Member

yes, I'd like it.

20. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

I find your answer rather strange as in this thread

http://www.cointalk.org/showthread.php?t=44545

You say the following!!

"thanks. I have a number of ancient coins which despite numerous attempts, have never been able to clean."

So what is it you would never clean a coin or as you say made numerouse attampts without any joy??

21. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

You were quite right in your quote above so there was not much to lose or gain. So here is what it looks like right now:whistle:

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted