Cleaning your coins.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by National dealer, May 31, 2004.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

In a nutshell, most experts will say that the only time a coin should be cleaned is to prevent further damage. Example, if the coin has PVC contamination.

There is a lot involved in this discussion and it is necessary to reallize all the fine differences in definitions and terminology. For example, proper cleaning does not harm a coin. Harsh cleaning harms the coins. Dipping a coin is not considered cleaning. It is an entirely different process.

There is a lot to this hobby and it can take a lifetime to learn it - some never do. Your best bet is to take it one step at a time, learn a bit here and learn a bit there. And as your knowledge increases it will all beging to coalesce and begin to make sense.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

That is what I would like most people to come to understand. If you change the way you look at coins, a circulated piece has a bit of history behind it. If Abe Lincoln bought a newspaper with this particular coin 150 years ago, why are you trying to remove that? Try that outlook, it works for me.

4. Boss

Boss Coin Hoarder

Speedy, I am sorry I don't agree with this stance. Cleaning and conservation are not the same thing. Dips which remove layers of metal ions do change or alter the surface and that is a form of chemical "cleaning", however some coins are so ugly this ends up being the best solution if done by someone who has educated themself and practiced on a lot of common coins first. Olive oil is slightly acidic and will darken the coin in time. Mineral oil will do nothing to chemically harm any coin (don't put proof or PL coins in as this will blurr their finish). These substance can be removed with acetone, however, I usually use acetone first to remove any possible finger prints and then soak in mineral oil for extended periods based on the amount of grime or verdigris. Experienced people, not novices, will use a rose thorn or toothpick to remove junk/grime on coins after a long soak in mineral or olive oil. Again practice on common, modern coins worth only their face value. I am saving up the money for a high tech binocual type microscope that feeds into my computer, almost like doing microsurgery for my coins with grime in between the dentils and letters, etc.. I have done this with good success using my 20 power loope but it is too difficult to hold the lupe and treat the coin at the same time. I have personally damaged a few coins I would have rather not so people who are INEXPERIENCED should not try such techniques. A valueable coin that has decreased eye appeal should be sent to NCS. I just sent 9 Indians and Lincolns to NCS and 6 of them graded at NGC after conservation. I am positive those six would not have graded without their conservation. This is ultimately the best solution for any coin that does look right to the owner. They only charge 1% to evaluate a coin. In my opinion any coin worth over $150-200 with the type of problems that they address is worth it. Simply go to the NCS website (Numismatic Conservation Services). This ISMHO

5. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

I will post an answer later--I'm on my way to bed so I can go hunt some deer in the morning....but my goodness...I wrote that post in 2006....WOW. I can't wait to see what someone will dig up if I ever run for public office! LOL!!

Speedy

6. catsmasher

catsmasher New Member

Hi folks! I am new to the forum, but have been collecting for a while now. I only collect circulated coins (mostly). I like the idea that the coin I collect was actually used as a "COIN" and not made just for someone to put into a box or holder. That bein said, I can't help but feel that there is a disconnect somewhere. I take a coin out of circulation - where people have been rubbing it, sticking in their pocket, using it to open something, leaving in thier pants and sending it through the wash cycle, flipping it into a glass of beer, etc for over 50 years - and when I decide to put it in a 2x2 I can now no longer touch it, rub it, breath on it, get it wet, or get anything on it or it will be "worthless"? If I have an old buffalo nickel with a bunch of crud in the letters and I don't like looking at crud on my coins and I don't want to look for another one for my collection because the crud is the only thing wrong with the one I have - why souldn't I be able to use some clean water and a toothpick to clean it up without being made to feel like I don't get it?

7. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

I think minor cleaning up of a coin is great for your own personal use. Buffing and dipping an XF or AU coin to sell it as a gem BU is unethical and immoral. Too bad these dealers aren't policed by the publications they advertise in better.

8. GDJMSP

You can do all of those things to any coin. However, should you ever decide to sell that coin, if the person buying it knows their business they will offer you far less, often up to 80% less, for the coin than they would have if you had left it alone.

That's why it is recommended that you do not clean the coins.

And please consider this, you are not going to be the last person to own that coin. For when you die that coin is going to be owned by somebody else - you are merely the temporary owner. So would it not be wise to do as little damage as possible to any coin while it is in your possession ?

9. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Are you sure that isn't "Bacitracin Zinc" ?

Ruben

10. Boss

Boss Coin Hoarder

go for it.

If they are low grade coins, go for it. But I would soak in mineral oil first. Use magnification. Better to practice on common coins first as you will scratch the coin witout practice and this will frustrate you. Just my opinion. If done successfully wipe lightly with a microfiber cloth. They mineral oil will reduce friction and should be no problem unless you press hard (then you could scratch it). These are my humble opinions.

11. Boss

Boss Coin Hoarder

The above reply is to Catmasher's quote- I forgot to "quote" him.

12. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

maybe the cement mixer. Doug, how much to rent one for a couple of hours?

Ruben

13. catsmasher

catsmasher New Member

Thanks for the replies.
    Please undersand that none of my coins are anything to write home about or think about selling. I would never misprepresent the state of a coin or anything else for that matter.
    As to the contention that I am only the temporary owner of a coin - oh how wrong you are. When I pass away, I have made arrangements to be buried in my 1967 Mustang fastback, sitting in the driver's seat in my pajamas with my hands glued to the wheel, wearing shades, a beer in the cupholder, with a mp3 mix track of kicking 60's tunes playing 24/7/365/1,000,000 (powered by a solar panel on my headstone of course) with all my comic books, coins, and Star Trek stuff in the back seat!
    Kind of like an Egyptian Pharaoh, but way cooler.

14. Aslanmia

Aslanmia Active Member

I hate this subject...

I don't like it when Doug uses logic and reminds me that I'm mortal. lol

15. GDJMSP

Cool :thumb: But eventually somebody will dig you up, find your stash and then they will own the coins ;) One way or another, your ownership is only temporary - just like the Pharaoh's was.

16. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Good point but we had the Grave Robbing thread many years ago !:thumb:

17. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

My family nixed the idea of a gravestone with a coin slot and the phrase "Give or I will come for it"

Jim

18. GDJMSP

Well since you mentioned it, if I was gonna have a grave I would just HAVE to do that ! Guess I'll settle for a change jar ;)

19. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Great, now I have to change mine from "keep off the grass" to a coin slot type one

20. GDJMSP

Gave me a great idea - will post a sign - Coins Cleaned Here - For FREE ! Just drop in the slot :D

21. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Even better " Drop coins here for slabbing"

Jim

Draft saved Draft deleted