Cleaning Solutions at a Coin Shop

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by smullen, Apr 20, 2007.

1. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I have cleaned 1 20c peice that I bought in 1996 for $5 b/c it was covered in a black substance. I wasn't really happy with the way the cleaning came out, but it looked better than before. I have also cleaned coins with erasers, solvents, brushes, (both tooth and wire), silver polish, dremel tool, etc. I keep these coins as a reference tool, away from my collection.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tradernick

tradernick Coin Hoarder

I clean almost nothing...and I sell no cleaners or dip in the shop. The most I've done before is a quick dip for select silver coins that have unattradctive toning...it's taken some learning to understand which toning will come off and which will not. Also, I occasionally use acetone for coins that have pvc damage...but rarely.
    tradernick

4. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Sorry, I realize that using correct spelling and grammar aren't considered important to many people these days, but I totally fail to understand what is funny about someone actually being grammatically correct, and using the noun form of a word instead of the adjectival form when calling something by its name.
    By those definitions, an "ultrasonic cleaner" uses "ultrasound".

Let me make it clear that I am not criticizing those who don't follow the standards my generation learned in school, just defending my right to adhere to them. :)

5. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Does anyone know any retail stores or internet sites that sell ultrasonic cleaners that work well on coins? What is a reasonable price to pay? What sort of brands are recommended?

It would be fun to own one to experiment on various coins in various conditions.

6. mpaulson

mpaulson New Member

This is the posters, brother, who typed the first message, the reason it's funny is because I work with pregnant mothers all day with an Ultrasound, I am an ultrasound tech., you can look it up if you are not familar with the machine. We both collect coins, and though it was funny, There was no intention what so ever poke fun of you, etc. I did not think of it as a gramer error at all, and that is not the reason why it was funny. Sorry to hurt your feeling and cause mental anguish. Try to relax and have a great day!
    D.Paul

7. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

Sheeeessshh pheonix. I was about to say you must have a rich grandparent or uncle who is numismatically inclined. Then I was about to rant about you ruining a beautiful 1909-S VDB. Until I scrolled down. You had me for a minute...:rolleyes: :bow:

8. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

Lol, Looks like I got a few of you. :D I only wish I had a rich grandfather, or a 09 S VDB cents lol. I tried this joke on another site, and I got a lot of flack and a bit of criticism on my joke, but hey, can't win em all.

Phoenix :cool:

9. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

That original statement of why carry a product that cleans coins if your not supposed to clean coins. The answer is only logical. If you have a product and people will buy it, why not sell it? People will always clean coins just as there are people that will try to restore antique furniture, wash oil paintings with paint thinner, etc. People are people and will do all kinds of stupid things so as long as they will, why not supply them with the products to do just that. Note they sell Acetone, Laquer Thinner and just about anything else at Walmart so why not at a coin store?
    I do regret all the stupid things we did in Chem classes with coins but it was an object that everyone had so why not. I'll always wonder if we distroyed any valuable coins back then.

10. smullen

smullen Coin Hoarder

Just my opinion, but I would not sell coin cleaner if I ran a shop; knowing people were most likley going to ruin their coins... If fact I might even put up a sign with something about not cleaning coins..

11. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

I would sell a coin cleaner...some people have different standards and like cleaned coins. There is a guy on another forum I read that runs little auctions with cheap cleaned world coins. I certainly dont mind a cleaned coin if it looks nice and improves a coin that had crud caked to it....I know the no-cleaning thing is not how it always has been and might not be how it will always be. If people want to clean coins, they will get cleaner to do it with so it might as well be through me (IF I had a shop).

The most I would do is ask what the person is cleaning and recommend a less abrasive, no chemical way like soaking in distilled water for a good long time....distilled water and a bit of rubbing on a circulated coin is just fine.

12. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

I'd go along with you there with a sign but if you own a store, profit is profit. Why let Walmart get all the money and a store owner trying to scrape out a living. If you sold liaquid plastic, it dosen't mean people should encase all their coins in the stuff. I mention that because I have made some neat looking stuff with liquid plastic and coins. Letter openers, pen holders, wall plaques, etc.

13. smullen

smullen Coin Hoarder

I guess you could sell whatever you want, I just wouldn't...

I'd rater not, knowing that alot of the buyers would probabbly be ruining their coins... Just me... It feels like the right thing for me to do....

If the profit offa a bottle of cleaner here and there is what keeps me in business, I'm thinking I might have bigger problems...

14. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

I thought the same way about PVC coin holders, I asked why people still sell them if they know they can damage a coin...someone here said...'because there is a market for it'...good point. Its just me, but its not my business to push how I think things should be...So I would sell cleaner for those who want to clean coins...PVC holders for those who want cheap holders...:)

Draft saved Draft deleted