Cleaning question.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DorkNerd, Mar 13, 2019.

1. DorkNerd

DorkNerd Active Member

I just received an order of 5 unclean coins from a peat bog. I was just wondering how you guys would recommend cleaning them. I've read dirty old coins recommendations, but I would trust your opinions over theirs. Here are the pictures. IMG_20190313_141910944.jpg
    IMG_20190313_141854491.jpg
    This is how they arrived I haven't touched them yet.

As always thanks in advance....now I get to go "play" in the snow while I wait for your priceless advice...

Brina, Johnnie Black and ominus1 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Hmmm mm might want to start off with an acetone soak for a day or so to see if there is any organic junk to get off.

Brina and DorkNerd like this.
  4. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Distilled water soak and a soft bristle brush. That's always where I start. It won't harm the coin and will loosen up any dirt, then you can see what you're up against.

5. Kentucky

Agree, but if there is organic residue like tar, the acetone first would help the water.

DorkNerd and Jay GT4 like this.
  6. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Yup, acetone won't harm them either.

DorkNerd and Kentucky like this.
  7. Kentucky

Keep us posted

DorkNerd likes this.
  8. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Hiya @DorkNerd !

I would spend time looking at them as closely as I could with some magnifying lenses. I would want to know how these coins feel in my hand. They look like they feel not completely dry. I guess they look like they have that same cool moist feel like lead (even if they aren't). Each coin would be photographed by itself. Then it would sit where there is no moisture for a while (at least a week or two) to dry out. Then another close inspection and if there appeared any difference from the first photographs, I would take photographs of each one again. Only at that point, when I could compare the first and second photographs, would I make a decision about what to do next. Maybe a light brushing with a baby toothbrush. But I am sure I would not be introducing these coins to more moisture.

Just my two cents.

DorkNerd likes this.
  9. DorkNerd

DorkNerd Active Member

Ok! I'll run and get supplies now! They are dry, the areas where they are rough feel dry and crusty. I think it's just organic matter that rotted and solidified over a millennia and some change. Thanks guys, I'll try and show you my progress, but it's hard for me not to move right on to the next project right away.

Again, much appreciated!

10. DorkNerd

DorkNerd Active Member

Real quick, pure acetone or should I dilute it in water?

11. Kentucky

Absolutely pure!!!

DorkNerd likes this.
  12. DorkNerd

DorkNerd Active Member

They are soaking now. I'll check them in a little bit!

13. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Those should be Identifiable really, good luck and keep up posted.

DorkNerd likes this.
  14. Kentucky

Looking forward to seeing your coins

DorkNerd likes this.
  15. DorkNerd

DorkNerd Active Member

Yeah, one looks like it has two dudes tied up with a banner in the middle. It's amazing how that acetone works. I can see some of the luster showing through.

I will say I did get better defined coins from Noble Roman than compared to D.O.C. I've ordered 15 from D.O.C. and 5 from N.R.C. Granted I'm paying less on D.O.C., but with less assurance that they are quality.

Here they are, the one on top I already started cleaning but it wasn't that much work to get it where it is currently.
    IMG_20190314_004722034.jpg IMG_20190314_004802436.jpg

16. galba68

galba68 Well-Known Member

http://www.romanorum.com/docs/A Method for cleaning ancient coins. Romanorum.com.pdf

17. LaCointessa

18. Kentucky

Cleaning "uncleaned" ancients is something everyone should try at least once, but it gets frustrating easily.

Texturn and LaCointessa like this.
  19. LaCointessa

But I think I did not find 'my' preferred way until I had cleaned about 15 of them in the generally prescribed (but faster) way. One coin is not going to teach anyone much. They are bound to need multiple experiences before either getting good or getting bored or fed up. imho. :)

20. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Naw, I’ll just take your word for it.

Justin Lee, Jay GT4 and Kentucky like this.
  21. DorkNerd

DorkNerd Active Member

Ok, @galba68, you are the G.O.A.T. I read your pdf, and after that, I feel well prepared to do this the right way. I took all my coins I already cleaned, and restarted with your process. I'm missing a lot of your tools, but will be upgrading my setup as soon as possible. I currently use Andre tools, and a soft bristle toothbrush. I have jewelers glasses with up to 25x magnification, and a few other things, but nothing compared to what you have. I spend a lot of time killing my back with these glasses. Although with the joy of discovering what I have, and imagining the world around this coin when it last took a breath, that makes it well worth that ache. I also already have the Renaissance wax. I'll be referring to your work often!

Thanks again!!!!

Archilochus and LaCointessa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted