Cleaning Pyu - Inspired by Zumbly

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ancientnoob, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

After @zumbly had posted his thread about cleaning his coin. I felt inspired and attempted a clean on some unsightly black much that was on much of the reverse and some of the obverse of my large (and rare) Pyu coin.

I used a dilute citric acid solution and did repeated 3 minute soaks in four different baths of varying concentrations. I started out with 5% by volume and moved up to 10% by volume, 25% and finally 50%. the first two seemed to have no effect the 3rd was mildly effective but the 50% solution had a dramatic effect. The black tar like substance that was on it became really dark and fairly soft. I then used a toothpick to mechanically remove the black spots.

After giving the coin a bath it got a nice and quick rinse with some good ol' fashion tap water. I then dipped it in acetone and let it stand for a few minutes. Once it was dry I applied a very thin layer of Renaissance Wax.

I am very pleased with the outcome. For everyone's enjoyment and of course my own, I have included before and after photos.

BURMA,
    Pyu City-States.
    Sri Ksetra.
    AR Unit – 96 Rattis Third (Final) coinage. Struck circa 800-832.
    35 mm x 9.53 g
    Obv. Damaru (ritual hand drum of Śiva); five triangular and globular ornaments above, nine wedge-shaped ornaments; all within beaded border.
    Rev. Stūpa (world-temple) containing the tree-of-life;vajra(thunderbolt symbol of Indra) to left, sankh shell (symbol of Viṣṇu) to right, the heavens (lunar and solar symbols) above, primordial ocean below.
    Ref: ATEC 5749-50; HCSEA 464-5; M&P 61-5; R&S 3.5.

BEFORE:
    BigPyuCReshoot.jpg

AFTER:
    Pyu3a.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Boy that looks great! I don't mind a dirty coin at all, but the dirt has to be pretty. I almost always hate that gunky black stuff you sometimes find on silver.

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

That is almost EXACTLY the response I was going to give!

It looks GREAT... I usually ignore the dirt, etc. but yours was "gunk", and your cleaning is great!

For me, whenever I need to clean things: GASOLINE! And if it does not work: I TORCH it!

Well, that was when I was a KID! I would never do that to coins NOW! :D :D :D

Deacon Ray, stevex6 and Ancientnoob like this.
  5. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Terrific results!!

Deacon Ray and Ancientnoob like this.
  6. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I happen to have a smaller version of something very similar - it could use a clean too! It was sold to me as a 1/4 Unit, 200-400 AD. It's 20mm and 2.71g. Now I'm thinking that date must be wrong, and it was issued at the later date of the OP coin. Any further info would be welcome.

Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 5.17.34 PM.png
    I love coins from "lost civilizations" like this.

Andres2, Deacon Ray, stevex6 and 7 others like this.
  7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Lol. I shuddered a little when I read the thread title, but wow, that turned out great! :)

8. Ancientnoob

Give me a while and i can find the Wicks # for your coin.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  9. Ancientnoob

jeeze thanks bud.

10. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Awesome coin, I like the before and after pics. Its another one I have on the list to get.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  11. Ancientnoob

Looks like your coin is a class D. 1/4 unit.
    IMG_0194.JPG

Deacon Ray and Mikey Zee like this.
  12. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Awesome, thanks!!

Ancientnoob likes this.
  13. Ancientnoob

I was looking for a small Pyu and one just fell into my lap. Thanks ebay!

15 mm x 2.76 grams

smallpyu.jpg

and for size comparison...

PyuS.jpg

14. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Draft saved Draft deleted