Cleaning out boxes of junk and found...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Murillo, Feb 7, 2022.

1. Murillo

Murillo Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, not sure if some of you have ever saved old birthday cards or drawn pictures that your kids made when they were in school, but for whatever reasons I waited all these years to finally clean out boxes is beyond me.

Anyway I found this in one of the boxes a birthday card that was given to my husband when he was ten lol! He is now in his late 70's never the less I was excited to find some silver Mercury dimes, not in the best shape but it's silver. Just wanted to share

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Oh, that's beautiful! I'll even forgive them for following the instructions to "moisten dimes before inserting". :)

When we were very small, my mother's parents had a tradition of giving us $25 at our birthdays. It was usually 100 quarters, typically in some sort of novelty container. I was just about too late for the silver ones, but I'm sure my older brother wishes he still had his.

4. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

What a wonderful find

5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

That's a great find!
    My neighbors when I was young, gave me a little book for my birthday. Unfortunately, it wasn't full of silver dimes.
    Dime Holder Front.jpg Dime Holder Back.jpg Dime Holder Inside.jpg

6. Murillo

Murillo Well-Known Member

7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

They were a super awesome couple. I kind of want to fill the book with mercs like on the front but then again, I kinda just want to keep it as is since they are the coins they gave me.

Randy Abercrombie and -jeffB like this.
  8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

That was because the spaces had a bit of water soluble adhesive in them. The moistened dime activated the glue which then reset and helped keep the dimes from falling out.

9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

What a cool find. Did hubby even remember getting that?

10. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

Awesome! My great grandmother used to send me b-day & Christmas cards with coins taped on the inside when I was a very young kid. When I reached about ten years old or so, she sent me the last one with a $2 dollar bill inside. Lots of things we miss of our childhood, receiving cards with coins taped inside from great grandma is one that I miss. I doubt anyone does this now. They mostly just send Starbucks gift cards now. I think the coins in the cards was most popular with the generation that was around during the great depression. A nickel or dime in a card back then meant a nice hot meal. So when I was a little kid in the 70's, great grandma was sending me a fortune.

Depending on how the coins are taped on, I've seen young members post on this forum pictures of coins with remnants of some type of film on it and think it's a mint error of some sorts. Just imagine what clear tape across those coins would have done to them after 60 or so years?

That is an awesome find!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
  11. AidenAlexander

AidenAlexander Well-Known Member

I have something similar.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    A dollar builder! It was filled with 1940s-1964s Washington quarters when I got it:).

Eric the Red and furryfrog02 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted