Cleaning or not?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by galba68, Jan 29, 2020.

1. galba68

galba68 Well-Known Member

Whether to continue cleaning or not? Hadrian as, 10,5o gr,...I have a good offer in this condition..

upload_2020-1-29_17-19-33.jpeg
    upload_2020-1-29_17-19-57.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. KIWITI

KIWITI Well-Known Member

Yes! Patient, mechanical cleaning I´d advice.

Nicholas Molinari likes this.
  4. catadc

catadc Well-Known Member

It's the cost of your time to clean it.
    If the offer is good, and you do not like the cleaning activity more than the end result (like me), and time to clean will cost more than the extra price you could get if cleaned, sell it. Otherwise clean it.
    The patina looks solid, but coin looks quite worn and shows scars of the already done mechanical cleaning, so +1 reason for selling it.

Insider and Nicholas Molinari like this.
  5. Plumbata

Plumbata Well-Known Member

The decision whether or not to continue depends on just how good the offer for it is. Judging from the exposed portion it looks like with some TLC it will clean up relatively nicely, however with the reverse completely caked and covered we have a "Schrödinger's Coin" paradox going on here where at the moment the reverse is both simultaneously a common pitiful mess and a rare or particularly well preserved strike, so the offer better be at least a healthy average of the 2 values! :bookworm::cigar:

If the offer isn't anything special I'd very happily just keep it and clean it myself, as cleaning nice coins is quite stimulating and enjoyable. Nice find!

TIF likes this.
  6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Sort of hard to determine how it will end up after cleaning so maybe just sell it if the offer is acceptable.

Insider likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted