Cleaning old coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jhaugh4, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Jhaugh4

Jhaugh4 New Member

I'm new to collecting coins and have a small collection of indian head, and lincoln pennies, nickels, and quarters going now. My question is on how I can clean them without making them look terrible. Everywhere I've looked has said to go somewhere and have a company do them, but I'm looking for a way to at home. Can anyone give me some ideas? Or should I just take them somewhere?

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

Welcome to Coin talk. The big rule in coin collecting is do not clean coins. It will greatly decrease the value of the coins. There are exceptions for ancient coins and seriously dirty coins, but even then is needs to be done correctly. There will likely be replies from more knowledgeable people on the forum about methods, but I would avoid cleaning unless absolutely necessary.

philologus_1 and Two Dogs like this.
  4. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Generally an acetone soak is about all you can do without de-valuing a circulated coin.

5. Jhaugh4

Jhaugh4 New Member

I see. I have a lot that are kinda bad, but most are just general use and need some light cleaning

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

If you feel they are worth keeping then don't clean them. In fact, don't clean then at all. Welcome to CT.

PlanoSteve and Insider like this.
  7. Jhaugh4

Jhaugh4 New Member

So even dirty they possibly will be worth more than cleaned ones?
    Sorry if I'm asking obvious questions to you guys like I said, I'm new to this

Two Dogs and richard sheehan like this.
  8. longshot

You could put up some pics for better opinions. But the truth is many new collectors like their coins "shiny", but a circulated coin doesn't look natural to an experienced collector if it's cleaned. A coin that shows obvious signs of cleaning is worth less. Original surfaces are important in this hobby.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Clean or dirty, it's always worth face value. If you have a coin that is something and you clean it, it will lower its value but not below face.

Robert91791 likes this.
  10. Jhaugh4

Jhaugh4 New Member

I see. Thank you for the help

11. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Pictures? Sometimes different types of "dirt" have to be treated differently.

12. Jhaugh4

Jhaugh4 New Member

I do have one other question on a coin I found. I havnt been able to find anything like it on google, but it look like the reverse of a 1977-d is half melted by something. It looks like it might have been from the mint, but again havnt been able to find anything

Attached Files:

13. longshot

If you use the search feature here you should find many discussions on cleaning coins.

14. Jhaugh4

Jhaugh4 New Member

I have a lot that are corroded bad, and others are just unreadable .

15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

There is no step during minting where such could occur. Your cent in post 11 appears to be circulated, so I would say Post mint damage. No extra value. Welcome Jim

16. Jhaugh4

Jhaugh4 New Member

I see. Well thanks for clearing that up for me

17. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Don’t clean them please

spirityoda likes this.
  18. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

You could use dish soap and water, but only use your fingers to rub them clean. And only do this if they are circulated.

19. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

do NOT clean them. you will kill the value.

USCoinCollector42 likes this.
  20. USCoinCollector42

USCoinCollector42 Well-Known Member

One thing that 99% of collectors agree on is that cleaning RUINS coins. Only do it on coins that aren’t worth anything over face value. Cleaning coins removes the actual surface of the coin and can cause damage beyond repair. The value of cleaned coins also drops exponentially.

Please don’t clean any collectible coins.

Oh and, @Jhaugh4, please keep asking questions. It’s the best way to learn and we don’t mind answering (even if they may seem obvious). CoinTalk is really good for detailed explanations from educated collectors so don’t be afraid to ask for advice.

Two Dogs and DEA like this.
  21. Jhaugh4

Jhaugh4 New Member

I see. Thanks guys for all the help

Draft saved Draft deleted