Cleaning Junk Silver: Good choice or bad mistake?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TheCoinBear, Oct 5, 2015.

1. TheCoinBear

TheCoinBear New Member

I know that around 95% of people here would absolutely not clean any of their coins but,
    Will cleaning junk silver (bought exactly at spot) remove any of it's Bullion value (not numismatic value)?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. $ignofthedollar

$ignofthedollar Well-Known Member

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Keyword is "junk"

5. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Just make sure it really *is* junk silver.

Everyone (even dealers) make mistakes once in a while ;-)

6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

CoinBear, bullion value is the silver content. I don't understand why you'd think cleaning would possibly affect that.

7. TheCoinBear

TheCoinBear New Member

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Well, yes and no! Cleaning coins can remove minute particles of precious metal. If you had hundreds or thousands of ounces, the amount of precious metal lost could be substantial.

Chris

slackaction1 likes this.
  9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

It won't OP, but why are you wanting to? Are you wanting to learn how to clean? That would be the only reason I would think it might make sense.

10. TheCoinBear

TheCoinBear New Member

No, because I recently bought a cull morgan dollar for 14$ and was wondering if I was still getting my money's worth

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Why aren't you in school? devil.gif

Welcome to the forum.........:)

12. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

I wouldn't clean it. Worn, shiny coins just look wrong.

13. TheCoinBear

TheCoinBear New Member

First off The reason I'm not in school is that I don't live in America, and here it's nighttime.
    Second, I didn't clean it I bought it cleaned and at AG condition but for a kinda low premium, I just went ahead and bought it

eddiespin likes this.
  14. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Kind of makes this thread pointless.

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

'bout a 9 on the tension scale coinbear. Chill bro.

coinman1234 likes this.
  16. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

Nothing wrong with cleaning "junk" silver. It will always be worth spot. :smuggrin:

17. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Good answers. Welcome to the asylum. :)

micbraun likes this.
  18. medoraman

No, many other people will read this. I admit I have cleaned junk silver, things like cruddy 1962 quarters. I did it to learn how to correctly clean better coins, so I didn't scrub them, whiz them, or any such thing but rather learned how to properly dip coins. If you do it after reading how to properly clean, and then using junk silver to practice that technique, is fine.

Jwt708 likes this.
  19. Stephan77

Stephan77 Well-Known Member

Three words...Don't clean coins...maybe that was 3 1/2 words.

20. medoraman

This is true of new collectors. Old farts like us who have been around coins for 40 years clean them all of the time, but we KNOW WHAT WE ARE DOING. That is the key. If you clean a coin and no one can ever tell it was cleaned, then it was done properly. Another way to say it is "Never IMPROPERLY clean a coin", which covers 99% of cleaning done by those who are new to coin collecting.

eddiespin likes this.
  21. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

What's the benefit? Improperly cleaning a coin will make it look worse. Properly cleaning (conserving) the coin won't hurt it, but will have little value for junk silver. Unless you just want to practice conservation techniques on junk silver in which case, great idea.

Draft saved Draft deleted