Cleaning dug copper coins.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, May 14, 2012.

1. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

As with any coin cleaning, there is a right way and a wrong way. This is a handy guide for those who find coppers with metal detectors.

Dug coppers are very delicate. Mechanical cleaning should never be done.

Here are 3 copper coins straight from the dirt.
    [​IMG]

Step one is to remove dirt. This is done with water and a very soft brush (toothbrush). Add a dab of soap. Wash lightly and rinse off.

Here are the coins after washing.
    [​IMG]

The next step is to oil. Soak the coins in 100% olive oil anywhere from 20 minutes to days (longer the better, but waste of time on low value coins).

Then wash the oil off with soap.

Dry the coin.

Here are the results.

Indian head before oiling.
    [​IMG]
    After:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The rest of the coins.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I wonder if VerdiCare would do anything to that IHC?

Also, any idea what the larger, last coin is?

4. sunflower

sunflower New Member

I realize this is a older thread. Just wanted to ask or verify if this method is considered wise for coins that may be of extreme value?

Thank you, BTW, they cleaned up nicely. I had no idea about the olive oil.
    TESS

5. Detecto92

1820 Sweden 1/4 Skilling.

6. Detecto92

Older thread? I just made it...lol.

Yes it's good for coins of extreme value. All dug copper will have a details grade from the corrosion.

7. sunflower

sunflower New Member

thanks. I saw the aug. 2011- my mistake. Thanks.

8. sunflower

sunflower New Member

Were you in Sweden when you dug it up?

9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I understand many over the years had advocated olive oil for cleaning coins, but I never cared for it. For ancients, I only use pure water, (get it from AC coil or dehumidifier and its free), and gentle cleaning.

IMO all I ever say olive oil due was darken the coin. I never saw any good cleaning affects from using it. Its a slight acid, so won't do much harm either, except darken it.

10. sunflower

sunflower New Member

Thank you. YEs, good reminder about the water in back of the dehumidifier. I have been so hesitant about cleaning coins, that I might have some of the dirtiest at the bank. Even the inside of bags look bad after a while.

11. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Holy smokes. First tooth brush is not nearly soft enough to use for mechanical cleaning. Second, water is good, but try acetone and/or xylol before soap!!! If you have to use something as a brush try either a cotton cue tip , or a jewelers brush, normally made from camel hair.

As for oiling, I would not recommend olive oil for a coin as it is acidic, try something like blue ribbon, or verdicare.

Not to be a jerk or anything, but unless you would consider yourself an expert on cleaning copper coins I would refrain from starting a thread detailing how to clean coins. Your help could cost someone a lot of money...

12. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

Man, do you see the coins that he is cleaning? He's giving tips on improving dug coins, not preservation of museum pieces.

13. ppratt3

ppratt3 Senior Member

Peroxide seems to work the best for me. On my dug coppers.

14. TheCoinGeezer

TheCoinGeezer Senex Bombulum

With all due respect Detecto, you'd be the last guy I'd take advice from on the subject of cleaning coins.

15. ppratt3

ppratt3 Senior Member

Why is that I clean my dug copper coins all the time. Do u have a different way to clean dug coins?

16. scratchgolf

scratchgolf New Member

I saw on youtube someone use a lemon juice and salt mixture. They looked cleaned up but not sure if good for a valuable coin. Anyone else hear about this?

17. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Don't do that.

18. thecoin

thecoin New Member

Love that

19. Devan

Devan New Member

Before I knew anything about penny values I remember one time I had bought a handfull of wheat pennies from a friend of mine in need of gas money and everyone of these pennies were of high value and it's so messed up because I remember alwayslooking at that penny with all the fives stamped all crazy on top of each other ((1955double die))and I'm talking 1922 , three 1909s , 1912, and the list goes on but I never at that moment ever thought that there was a such thing as an error made penny of any kind because of course our government has always brainwashed us that they could possibly never make a mistake , so I never did understand why there were two sets of fives on that 1955 penny I had though , we'll one day I was out of cigarettes and broke pretty much so yea I had to scrape change that day and sure enough that 55,22,09,12, all of those pennies went on a cheap ass pk of smokes because I was young and dumb..and simply didn't realize what I had was worth alot more than a pk of damn smokes .. I kick my self in the ass everytime I see a penny .lol. but live and learn huh?? Thought I'd share

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2017
  20. Friuli

Friuli New Member

A nice old thread, but I'll add my 2¢ anyway.
    I've dug a lot of good coins (quality copper) in my area. Mostly Italian Vitorio Emanuel II 5,10, and 20 centesimi. Many have scabby corrosion from 100+ years of fertilized soil which prevents one from seeing some of the details. I've tried various ways of cleaning them but tend to be cautious. My preferred method is to soak the coins in distilled water, the type you use in steam irons, model steam engines, or other applications where you need water which in mineral free. I've talked with archeologists and the principle is fairly simple. The water acts as a mineral sink and pulls corrosion off the coin. The main problem is that the whole process works very slowly, much slower than most people have the patience for. I have copper coins in a Tupperware container which have been soaking for about 2 months. Every day or two I'll brush them with a stiff toothbrush and look them over and they don't seem to change much, but over time they do improve. Change the water frequently and if you feel the need to scrape at the corrosion make sure you do so with something softer than the copper and the oxidation, like the wooden end of a matchstick. Remeber, you can't put the patina back on. I'll try to post again with a before and after photo of a coin using this method.

21. Disabled Digger

Disabled Digger New Member

Got a valuable copper? Don't clean at all other than water, no toothpicks, no cotton swabs
    NO ACETONE! get your high $ coins graded! Let them clean and encapsulate and grade the coin
    If you'll see the big money at auction.... sorry, just sayin' DD.

Draft saved Draft deleted