Cleaning coins with vinegar and salt??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mlov43, Apr 3, 2017.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yeah, or any other kind of acid and two dissimilar metals. They used to tell you to use silver dimes and copper cents. Now, they tell you to sand or scrape the copper off one side of a "penny" to expose its zinc. (So I guess I have to admit that Zincolns are good for something.)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I remember an old experiment where you hold a cent and a dime (pre 1965) in the form of a V and put your tongue between them. You get an immediate sour taste from the cell that has been formed.

4. Honest-Ab

Honest-Ab Member

My mother used to polish her copper pots and pans with salt and vinegar, pretty caustic stuff as I remember, but in the 50's they didn't have teflon, or fancy cleaners.

5. Kentucky

OK, here's a quick (and not so good) experiment. Six cents - three post 1982 and three pre 1982:
    Cents for soak.JPG

Soak these in a vinegar/salt solution. Remove two (one each clad and not) after approximately 5 minutes and let them sit on tissue paper, remove two more, rinse and dry them and allow the last two to stay in the vinegar salt for about 20 hours. In that order, here they are:
    Cents after soak.JPG

6. Kentucky

7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I'm not sure I could compose any coherent reaction without employing expletives. :)

8. Kentucky

Hey, come on...they aren't all that bad. I was surprised that they didn't come out much worse. I still have them to see how they do over time.

9. SuperDave

The '66 and '74 are "improved," by certain standards, at least a little. I'll give it that much. :)

Kentucky likes this.
  10. Kentucky

I know, I was surprised. Not about to start cleaning coppers this way, but interesting. The ones that were left to dry with the salt on them are developing a nice patina...perhaps I should post them in the Ancients forum.

11. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Kentucky likes this.
  12. SuperDave

I bet the two on the left would attract deer. :)

Kentucky and bdunnse like this.
  13. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Funny how salt and vinegar reacted differently with each of those coins. What was it about that 1966 cent that makes it seem that the brown toning went away? I guess it's just those chloride ions that stripped the toning away (and perhaps a little of the brighter metal beneath it?).

And, yes, those other two look like salt licks...

Draft saved Draft deleted