Cleaning coins with vinegar and salt??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mlov43, Apr 3, 2017.

1. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Well, couldn't that be construed as a....(wait for it)....natural cleaning process? :p

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

IMPROPER.

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Not quite, I'll call on @BadThad and any other chemists to back me up on this. I ran into this as a method to clean copper cents even as a wee lad. Doing the "Silver Penny/Gold Penny" experiment with high school kids, this came up again. I always wondered how or why it worked, but was never curious enough to spend much time digging out info. Vinegar is a 5% solution of acetic acid, a weak acid that is only partly ionized. I would assume the role of the salt is to increase the acid strength of the solution so as to allow the acid to function. That being said, ifn you start with clean coins (pretreatment) and remove all trace of salt (posttreatment), there shouldn't be THEORETICALLY nothing much wrong with the procedure. The devil would be the removal of all the salt, which would lead to enhanced decomposition.

5. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Should see what happens when North Korean and American coins come in contact:

6. -jeffB

I'll certainly defer to @BadThad, but I'm pretty confident that acetic acid is more than ionized enough, and salt's completely ionized, so you're going to have chloride ions and protons (actually hydronium ions) -- so it's at least the moral equivalent of hydrochloric acid. Dilute, as you say, but dilute HCl is still destructive, because that chloride ion loves to make off with metal ions. (That's what makes it more destructive than other acids, even when it's dilute; it's also why aqua regia attacks gold and platinum. The nitric acid oxidizes, the chloride complexes and carries away.)

BadThad and mlov43 like this.
  7. SuperDave

As a strictly chemical reaction it's one thing, but I was left the impression (not having watched any of the videos) that there was mechanical action involved as well. Wouldn't careful and thorough rinsing with water remove the salt sufficiently?

8. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Like showering after you get out of the Great Salt Lake? Yeah, I guess so.

Kentucky likes this.
  9. Kentucky

Lots wrong with this.

10. Kentucky

I think that is the problem. Copper is a particularly tough beastie to do anything with.

11. SuperDave

You take a longer shower. :)

12. Kentucky

how looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong?

13. SuperDave

Until the ocean's surface is measurably lower. :)

Kentucky likes this.
  14. -jeffB

Waiting to find out what, with bated breath -- partly because I'm really interested, and partly because I don't like breathing nitrogen oxides. ;)

15. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Nitrous? Oh man, you need to get out more.

16. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Wondering about the mechanical versus chemical action myself...

17. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I think vinegar and salt is a ladies hygiene product.

Evan8 and Kentucky like this.
  18. Kentucky

Only Walking Liberties

19. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

People who go slower than the speed limit in the left lane are also a ladies hygiene product.

Michael K and Kentucky like this.
  20. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

You got it! Chloride is very destructive to metal.

Kentucky likes this.
  21. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I think you can make a battery with this stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted