Cleaning Coins with Pencil Eraser!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tristen1230, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Just because a coin doesn't have sandpaper taken to it or isn't dipped in a chemical bath doesn't mean the flow lines are not disrupted... removing crud from the coin requires some force, and that force definitely can abrade the surfaces of the coin, especially given how sensitive the surfaces of coins can be. It's a moot point without pictures anyway, I'll trust the dealers over your opinion, no offense.

By the way, in able to see flow lines on a coin, you basically need an electron microscope.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

ugly-man-laugh-smiley-emoticon.gif i clean mine in moonshine !!!

dwhiz likes this.
  4. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

There should be a forum for non-collectible coins then people can show off their cleaned and polished coins; their homemade errors; their fantasy discoveries etc..

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That's not so. There is nothing wrong cleaning a coin. There is most definitely something wrong with harshly cleaning a coin.

There are millions and millions of MS grade coins in NGC and PCGS slabs that have been cleaned. Yeah, I know, now somebody is going to argue now and say those coins have been conserved.

Well horse puckey ! Conserving is just a fancy word for cleaning.

Yes, there are some who say "don't clean" period. But that is advice that is given typically to beginners because they don't understand or they misinterpret when you try to explain to them how to properly clean a coin. And yes a coin can most definitely be cleaned without doing any harm to the coin. But there are few methods of doing that and they must be done correctly or the coin will be harmed.

One example of when it is "good" to clean a coin is when you clean it remove a harmful substance or to prevent further damage from being done to the coin. PVC contamination for example should always be removed, cleaned from the coin. Excessive or dark, heavy toning should be removed from coins otherwise it will literally eat the coin.

Robert91791 likes this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

And water will never wash away stone like the Grand Canyon.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. mrbensteele

mrbensteele Member

As an artist and a newbie collector I have tried the eraser method on junk coins that were dirty and tarnished, as well as clean new ones. I would never use a typical erasers, NEVER, they are harmfull, even to paper, havent used them in over 10 years, I would recommend using vinyl white erasers, they are soft and absolutely non-abrasive, ive never seen even the slightest damage to any coins ive tried, it removes the dirt and leave the nice patina unless there isnt any patina. Give it a try, take something from the 60-70's with alot of use on it.

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

60's an 70's far away. So too the pencil eraser.........

9. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I knew a dealer that erased his coins. They all had hairlines and were all ruined.
    Needless to say, I did not buy many from this man.

10. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Just so you know the white vinyl erasers you speak of (often called Mars erasers) have a nice high PVC content. I would NEVER recommend their use in cleaning a coin. Plain demineralized water is the strongest cleaner I use on most coins (only because I haven't picked up a can of acetone for dipping yet)

11. mrbensteele

mrbensteele Member

What does acetone do?, also i dont use the typical mars erasers, if i used any they are the vinyl stick eraser type, super soft kind, maybe it does have hight pvc content but ive never seen any damage and i have a microscope, although im not rough with them.

Robert91791 likes this.
  12. Clint

Clint Member

A guy at the LCS taught me a neat way to think about this:

Anything you push across a coin will tend to cause a scratch, especially if there's material on it which you might be trying to remove.

I've kept that as my mantra every time I even consider touching a valuable coin. Even removing dust with a q-tip can scratch if you're not careful.

Think about it...merely the way an eraser functions contraindicates its use on a coin.

Jaelus likes this.
  13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Dang, I used an eraser on my car and it is all scratched up. Must have been the dirt and grit I was scrubbing around. Now where was that 1909-S-VDB...

14. largecent37

largecent37 Coin Collector

I think that your eraser is an abrasive surface. You should never clean coins;)

15. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Using erasers on your coins will damage your coins period.

16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The one and only reason that any eraser works, even on pencil and paper, is because it is an abrasive.

Then you need to get somebody to show what damage looks like so you know it when you see it, because it is absolutely there.

These were just quick shots with a camera that show what an eraser does. Only the area by the date had a an eraser used on it. No magnification at all was needed to see the eraser damage. It was quite visible with the naked eye.

penny test +3 011.jpg

penny test 013 +43.jpg

17. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Well it is better than the rock tumbler idea someone else suggested.

But what do I know!

18. green18

Oh dear........again. We still talkin' 'bout this stuff?

Stop it!

[video=youtube;Ow0lr63y4Mw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw[/video]

19. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

I completely disagree. Here is a simple experiment for you. Take ANY proof coin, that has nice mirrored surfaces, with no previously deposited 'crud', and have at it with your vinyl erasers... even with the naked eye, the results will speak volumes to you...

20. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

While we're at it, let's discuss the rampant use of the dreaded vinegar and salt dip...ugh.

21. green18

And what's left over you can just toss into the salad.......

Draft saved Draft deleted