Cleaning a coin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by coin-o109, Jul 11, 2008.

1. coin-o109

coin-o109 New Member

I know most of you have probably heard enough about cleaning coins, but can I just get a straight answer?

The coin I want to clean is a 1886 Morgan dollar, and nothing special about it. But it has a lot of gunk on it, so how do I get it off?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

I've heard that submerging it in boiling water sometimes works but it depends on the gunk. If it's sticky gunk, acetone is probably the better bet but if it's just average dirty gunk, the boiling water trick should work.

Ribbit :)

Ps: Use tweezers to hold it while dipping it into the boiling water and line it with something soft. Best bet is to place a wash cloth around the edge and then clamp the tweezers onto the coin where the wash cloth is.

Pps: Welcome to CoinTalk! :hail:

4. coin-o109

coin-o109 New Member

Thanks. But it is not really dirt-gunk, it is hard brown rusty stuff. I tried the boiling water thing, but it only took of a little, but the rest remains. It is very hard, and sort of like corrosion-rust-dirty stuff.

5. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Welcome! I don't know what "a lot of gunk" really is. It would be helpful if you could post a photo or a scan. Maybe it isn't as bad as you think and should be left alone. Maybe it's beyond help. It's difficult to know without seeing it.

6. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I'd need to see what the "gunk" is, best post a picture

7. coin-o109

coin-o109 New Member

I do not have a camera, but it is brown, hard, and rusty.

8. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

Electrolysis might work but like everyone says, it would help if we could see the gunk to better know how to remove it. :)

Ribbit :)

9. coin-o109

coin-o109 New Member

i do not have a camera. but it is like hard dirt and corrosion mixed together

10. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Do you have a scanner ?
    rzage

Draft saved Draft deleted