Cleaned silver question

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by dimeguy, Apr 22, 2021.

1. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

I have been reading up on and looking at Walking Liberty Halves. I am attempting a "best you can afford" set and feel I am slightly overwhelmed, but in a good sense. In previous sets, I would learn adequately how to grade within a range, but I am finding this collection parameters will help me broaden my knowledge base a bit. Still, I feel hesitant with independently graded purchase looming.

I am ready to purchase a G to VG Walker, but my question is, how to exactly tell if there has been cleaning on a circulated coin? I feel most coins from this time have been cleaned to some extent or another, correct? Furthermore, I feel if the coin looks "bleached" the coin would likely be cleaned compared to circulated toning, yes? Below I offer two Ebay links for comparison...

"Bleached" example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254944521001?hash=item3b5be0ab29:g:EG0AAOSwdu1gebPJ

"Antiquated toned" example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174737791825?hash=item28af2f1b51:g:Y6cAAOSwL9tgfL8F

As always, thanks for the community for clarification and help. It is always greatly appreciated!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

In hand, I wouldn't be surprised if the first coin you linked is actually darker than the second one. Any difference between the two photos, I can easily attribute to camera settings.

I don't think either coin looks improperly cleaned from these images, but the second one has a number of flat spots on the rim, and I wonder if it's actually been bent slightly. Even if not, I'm not sure it would grade cleanly due to the rim disturbances. I'm curious what others think.

4. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

IMO, the first coin looks to me to have original surfaces, more than the second. I see lots of hairlines on the second, and that would make it a pass for me.

dimeguy likes this.
  5. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

I actually do like the detail seen on the first more than the second, but was worried about color. I guess this boils down to the essential question: what is deemed as improperly vs properly cleaned for a series for a given grade?

6. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

This is helpful, so thank you. Should I be more on the lookout for hairlines compared to coloration or just keep all in the back of my mind? It is difficult for me to tell if the lines are in the coin or more like die polish lines from pictures though, so how can one differentiate? I always viewed cleaning lines as more criss/cross compared to die polish lines and always into and throughout the entire devices of the coin, but still difficult at times to distinguish when purchasing online.

7. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Die polishing lines are (almost) always only on the fields, and (almost) never on the devices. They go 'under' the devices.

Hairlines from cleaning/wiping go over the devices, and typically there is a tiny gap in the line where it transitions from the field to the device, or vise verse.

Polishing lines can be straight, or criss-crossed, and light or heavy. I think that depends on how aggressive the polishing was, but the direction of a line (hairline/polish line) is irrelevant AFAIK. It's where the line is visible. Also, and this isn't as easy to discern in a photo, but polish lines are raised, cleaning lines are incuse.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

If they are criss-crossed they are not die polish lines, they are die scratches. Die polish lines are always straight because the method of die polishing dictates that they will be.

That's not say that both die polish lines and die scratch lines can't be on the same coin at the same time as they often are both on the same coin at the same time. And both will be raised. It is only their nature, straight vs criss-crossed that allows one to tell them apart from each other.

9. bikergeek

bikergeek Active Member

I love the Walkers too - very nice (and popular) choice to collect! Of the two coins you show, I don't think either have been harshly cleaned-they both show a lot of honest wear commensurate with circulated coins at that grade level. I really like the first one a lot more. The second one has those irregularities in the rims previously mentioned, and two areas that I want to be clean are not (the sun has a gouge in it, and the right obverse field has a lot of chatter).

A good way to get a sense of condition and value is to look at auction results. GreatCollections lets you see past results along with current offerings. On this link I scroll down and see that there's an NGC G6 that will finish on Sunday 4/25, with a pretty low top bid (as of now). Recent prices range between $36 and $52 including buyer's premium (and you have to tack on I think $6 shipping for the first coin, then a small upcharge for each additional one). They may even give you the first order with free shipping still.

Paying close attention to the ones that are in "details" slabs allows you to see what the graders find unacceptable. This one shows loads of hairlines from a wipe, and also shows an abrupt transition from "clean" to "dark" spaces where they didn't get into the crevices. It looks unnatural, unlike your examples which transition gradually.

dimeguy and -jeffB like this.
  10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

If you are putting together "best you can afford" why not go for a little better coin, like this one?

11. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

Bikergeek, that is a good idea on comparing against detail slabs for comparing common attributes for cleaned halves. Those are good links and thank you for the input!

bikergeek likes this.
  12. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

I am putting together date/mm set and that one isn't a '16 P. Thanks though!

13. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

both dead links

14. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Both eBay auctions are long ended, hence the dead links. ;)

15. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Check the dates on the posts. This one is 9 months old.

Nothing wrong with resurrecting old posts, but as a courtesy to other members, it's nice to note in your response that the post is older. It's definitely helpful to others who see the post and think it's new.

Draft saved Draft deleted