Cleaned or Polished die?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BigTee44, Mar 7, 2016.

1. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

What do you think? Still appears to be luster on the sun as I rotate it in the light.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I'm thinking cleaned, the lines appear to go over the devices as opposed to underneath of them. Looks like someone tried to remove the toning

JPeace$, 19Lyds and Paddy54 like this.
  4. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Would the Mylar from the 2X2 be causing this? Did you use a flash to take the pics?

5. BATTERup646

BATTERup646 Active Member

The mylar shouldn't cause this. This was cleaned.

6. Markus1959

The coin was cleaned? If that be the case then was it also artificially toned to cover the cleaning and not a die issue?
    The toning is in the area of the anomaly!

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

you can't tell anything thru the plastic

8. Markus1959

I saw this same thing on Rick Tomaska's coin show (no, I don't buy his high priced coins) but he showed how a coin can show scratches from under a certain lighting condition and tilted at a certain angle - I can't remember what he called it but it was on Franklin Halves.

9. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

cleaned. if the lines were die-polish lines they would be raised, and they would run right up to the design elements instead of stopping short of them.

10. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

If the implication wasn't there that these are all images of the same coin at the same time, I would believe they were before and after images of a coin having been brushed hard to remove the toning. It's especially obvious in the third and fourth images, and the ninth and tenth. These lines are harsh enough to not "disappear" completely under varying lighting, and the third and fourth are lit sufficiently similarly so that should not be the case anyway.

If you tell me these are all the same coin at one moment in time, BigTee44, I'll believe you, but it'll force me to reevaluate just how bad a brushing is able to be hidden by lighting angle. The lines are deep enough in places to form strong reflections. Crazy.

11. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

It's certainly not a polished die. The huge tell is the haloing around the devices and the fact that the lines continue on the devices. Polishing of the die would show the lines going right up to the devices and appear as if they went under them not over them as in this case.

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There are several initial comments I could make to start this off but I think I'll go with this one - the coin has not been harshly cleaned, and those are not die polish lines.

And those reading this are probably asking themselves something like - how and why could you possibly say such a thing ? Answer, easy all you have to do is look closely at the coin, and have an accurate understanding of die polishing and harsh cleaning of coins. And then think things all the way through.

For example, just like has been mentioned we know that die polish lines cannot be on the devices. But some of the devices on this coin do have lines on them, and that's one of the keys to this - only some of them have lines on them, not all of them. Look at the coin closely, the lines on the devices can only be seen here and there. And if the coin had been harshly cleaned, harsh enough to make lines like what we see in fields, then the devices would also have an equal number of lines, if not more because the devices stand up above the fields and thus would be subject to more pressure and contact from the harsh cleaning than the fields would be. But that isn't what we see. What we see are a lot of lines on the fields, with only a line here and there on the devices.

So if the coin wasn't harshly cleaned and those are not die polish lines then what did happen ? Answer, again easy, the die was harshly cleaned. With the die the fields are the high point and if harshly cleaned the fields are subjected to the most pressure and contact and thus have the most lines. While the devices are recessed, lower than the fields, and thus subjected to hit and miss contact with whatever was being used to clean the die. This explains why the devices only have hit and miss lines.

Another clue that what I'm describing above is true is what the OP said -

If it had been the coin that was harshly cleaned then that comment could not be true because the luster would have been destroyed by the harsh cleaning. But if the die had been harshly cleaned, the metal would still flow when the coin was struck and the luster would be there as it should be, and is, according to the man who has the coin in hand.

Lastly, why would the die be harshly cleaned and what could cause lines like that ? When coins are being struck the machinery produces small metal particles from wear and tear. Those metal particles can sometimes accumulate and get stuck in the grease on the machines. And that grease can sometimes be transferred to the dies. When it is it must be cleaned off, usually wiped off with rag. And wiping that gritty grease away is what causes the die scratches which are more prevalent on the fields than they are on the devices.

micbraun and spock1k like this.
  13. heavycam.monstervam

14. SuperDave

Since when could you scrub a die this hard and have the lines thus created fall short of the edge of a device? That doesn't pass the elementary smell test of a rookie numismatist. Die polishing is usually heaviest at the edge of the devices, and near-impossible to keep away from those edges.

It's daft to claim otherwise.

15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

So, what's your explanation?

16. GDJMSP

But these aren't die polishing lines as proved by the fact that there are lines on the devices. Or do you disagree with that ?

And for some of the lines stopping short of some of the devices, that could easily be explained by - while wiping the gritty grease off the die there was not constant and consistent pressure being applied everywhere. So of course it's going to be different that what die polishing does.

17. SuperDave

Regarding the difference between the "polished-looking" and "not" images, I have none at the moment; the degree of damage visible in the pics where it's lit exceed any of my previous experience regarding how much damage can be hidden via photography by an order of magnitude. The sun on the obverse is the best example; it's scored, fer cryin' out loud. In that regard, I await BigTee44 to specifically state that these images are all from the same coin (I don't doubt that) at the same time, because I believe they're before-and-afters. If he so states, I'll contemplate what might cause straight-up gouges to disappear with only lighting. Anyone who understands coin photography understands how deep those lines have to be to create the light/dark contrast between the lines and the adjacent, unmarred field.

Regarding die polishing, I'm first astonished that this requires explanation to anyone who's ever seen it before.

Second, I'll suggest you grab a sanding block and a sheet of 40-grit, and sand the edge of a stainless steel table. Make every_single_line stop short of the edge - at exactly the same spot - and oh, yeah, your technique has to pass over the edge so it'll hit a second table an inch away on the same stroke at exactly the same strength so you can see the lines you leave are continuous.

But use a table with square edges and not round ones, because that's how dies are built. They do not "gradually taper" into the recessed devices; it's an edge.

Having contemplated that, explain how you can polish a die (or, Doug, "wipe grease off a die" - what'd they do, stop the wiping cloth at the precise, equally-spaced point adjacent to the devices too?) without the lines at the precise edge of the devices not being at least equal in strength.

Good Golly, folks. Think.

18. GDJMSP

You think, do you think the metal particles are spread exactly evenly throughout the grease ? Do you think a guy using a rag over the tip of his finger to wipe something off results in the same thing that blocked sandpaper or die polishing would ?

C'mon now, you're smarter than that. Wiping contaminated grease off a die would result in very inconsistent results. Which is exactly what we have here. To me, my explanation is the only one that makes sense given the diagnostics.

But hey, I'll listen to another one, gimme one.

19. heavycam.monstervam

OP, are you able to tell (with 10x or 16x) if these lines are raised or recessed on the coin?
    I find it highly questionable that, these mystery lines only appear in the toned areas.

20. SuperDave

Very inconsistent, yet perfectly parallel, similarly deep, and all ending at the same precise distance from devices in multiple places. Yet, somehow there is also sufficiently-consistent pressure to create the same parallel equal lines within devices, all the way to the device edge inside the die where a rag cannot reach (ever tried to dry the inside corner of a wet can?) Really?

Wow.

21. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted