Cleaned or not.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Spartan, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Spartan

Spartan New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I would say cleaned.
    Two hints:
    1) Does not look natural, coppery color.
    2) it is on ebay.

4. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

I agree that the color doesn't look natural and that therefore, there's a good chance the coin has been cleaned. However, there are plenty of non-cleaned coins on Ebay, especially those of fairly low value, such as the one/type being discussed here. So it doesn't necessarily follow that because a coin is on Ebay that it's been cleaned or is otherwise unworthy.

5. Spartan

Spartan New Member

I agree that the color does not look natural. I looked at all of this dealers other coins and they all have that type of shine. Was wondering if it was a cleaning or just how the light was reflecting off of it. Thanks for the responses. Anybody else?

6. Treashunt

MArk:
    It was just a poor attempt at scarcasm, sorry that it flopped.

However, that said, unless the lighting is WAY off, it ain't natural.

7. Mark Feld

Oops, sorry. Some people have made similar comments and were being serious, so I didn't realize you were being facetious. :whistle:

8. Spartan

Spartan New Member

Thanks guys,

I agree that the color is not just because of the lighting.

9. ozarktravler

ozarktravler Senior Member

no, it has ...

No, it has not been cleaned. Possibly the effects of camera flash to cause rust color rather than nice brown patina. IF you are serious about purchase, email the seller and request a better photo of coin, ebay graphics compress photos because they want an extra buck to allow full size pic. If the ebay seller refuse to send you a pic then save your money.:smileozarktravler

10. Treashunt

ozark
    good idea, for the additional pix.

However, how can you tell that it hasn't been cleaned?

11. Mark Feld

He can't, just as we can't tell that it has been cleaned. All we can do is guess/speculate, based upon the images and how we interpret them.

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

And to top it all off.
    We all have different monitors that display color differently to a degree.
    From what I see I would guess it has been cleaned, but I wouldn't bet on it.

13. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

What about this MS66 in a NGC slab?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-VDB-NGC-MS...ryZ39456QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Say this wasn't slabbed. What would everybody think? A lot of people selling things on ebay either don't invest in good cameras or they don't know how to use what they've got.

If you really want something but are worried about the color, ask the seller if they would take the coin outside in natural day light. Have them bring a pure white sheet of paper with them and tell them to push a single button and set their custom white balance. Then take a pic of the coin, right there outside. Only then will you get true color representation.

With different lighting and cameras with settings all over the place, you rarely get to see real colors on ebay.

14. Mark Feld

That coin and its color look entirely different from the one being discussed in this thread. That said, your point is valid with respect to many coins and their images.

15. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

Hey gang...

This MAY be a case of bad pics.....I have never been burned by this guy, and have bought plenty of Lincolns from him. He has horrible pics, and the yellow background does not help one bit, but every single time I have bought from him, the coin is WAY better in hand.....both on and off Ebay

16. Mark Feld

Now THAT personal, hands-on experience and commentary is a lot more meaningful than our guesses:kewl:

17. Ed Goldman

Ed Goldman coin collector

I don't know how anyone could tell from this picture that the coin was cleaned or not cleaned.

18. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

You can't so to me that tells me to stay away from the auction, unless I get it really cheap and am prepared to eat the cost. As Mark Feld says - you can only form an opinion off the images you see. My rule is for ebay - if I can not tell from the image what I need to know about the coin(holdered or not), then I skip the auction. You can have two MS66 NGC graded cents and one has 0 eye appeal and the other is a beaut, but if you post lousy pictures I stay away from both auctions. Believe it or not, but there are some ugly coins in holders(PCGS, NGC, ANACS). :)

OH - it also seems that every auction where I ask for better pictures the seller always tells me that is the best they can do. I have pretty much stopped asking and just skip the auctions. Something better will always come along.

Draft saved Draft deleted