Cleaned or not cleaned 1877cc seated liberty dime

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Numismatic33, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Numismatic33

Numismatic33 Member

This coin has stumped many collectors who can usually tell right off the bat if a coins cleaned. So is it cleaned or original? image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

The only thing that stands out to me are the striation marks on the obverse from 1 o clock to 8 o clock. I do think its about as original as you will likely find a coin that grade.

4. Numismatic33

Numismatic33 Member

Yes that is the only reason it brings cleaning concerns to me. I think it's original.

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I'll go with original

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

guessing it looks original :vulcan:

7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

It's an honest little coin that obviously did its duty in commerce and has nothing to be ashamed of, cleaned or not.

8. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

Cleaned at some point , doesn't really matter though in that grade.

9. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

It has the look of an otherwise essentially original coin that was subsequently wiped, scratched, scraped (take your pick) on at least the obverse.

10. risk_reward

risk_reward Active Member

Cleaned Fine details

11. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

12. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Looks like an abrasion or a scrape. And otherwise original skin

13. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Great coin, no matter what

14. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Are the lines in the first picture the only ones on the coin? If so, the coin has been scraped. If there are more scratched in other directions, then the coin has been cleaned.

15. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Not, and Never. Suggest you read the thread: GTG - 1828 Capped Bust Half where members have discussed whizzing again.

Nathan401 likes this.
  16. Insider

IMO, you and others are being EXTREMLY sensitive and hard on this average circulated coin. IMO, not scraped and just a few hairlines - not even enough to suggest old cleaning.

A "Scrape" by usual definition in a grading seminar DIGS INTO THE COIN. Scrapes occur in degrees so if someone wants to say if I rub a coin across my shirt once that I have scraped it I would be forced to agree as "technically" they would be correct. :facepalm: But actual scrapes are damage and this coin does not qualify IMO.

17. TypeCoin971793

You want to be really technical and nit-picky? Fine, I'll play along.

A scratch is defined as a single sharp object digging or scraping into the surface of a coin. This dig can be very long and fine, depending on the scratcher. Now if you have a a brush with hundreds of sharp objects, you will get a bunch of fine scratches that scrape into the surface of the coin, though the depth is microscopic.

What I think happened was that this coin was rubbed along a hard, rough surface or a wire brush, but not cleaned in the general sense. I would consider this coin to be very mildly damaged.

joecoincollect likes this.
  18. Insider

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: As you say , scrapes are WIDE.

19. TypeCoin971793

Fundamentally, what happened to the OP's coin and this coin are the same, just one is slightly more severe than the other. Still the same TYPE of damage, but the severity determines the knock off the value.

. image.jpeg

Insider likes this.
  20. Insider

Nice photo but that is a mighty big scrape. ;) In fact, to call it a scrape is rather foolish IMO as it is actually so far beyond a scrape that it became just DAMAGE.

So, I disagree 100%. Please point out the deep damage from the scrape on the OP coin. Thanks.

21. TypeCoin971793

So we got into this argument because I used the terminology "scraped?" Seems pretty silly.

To satisfy your quest to prove me wrong, I will say my use of "scraped" was improper and will thus change my terminology used to "brushed" to describe the diagonal hailnines evident on this coin.

Insider likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted