Cleaned Morgan or Polishing lines???

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BlackberryPie, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Those lines on the cheek may have been in the planchet before it was struck.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I think you could easily polish those lines out. Just kidding but I think others here have pretty much posted what I also think. Some are polish lines, other are not, but if you are adding it to your collection and like the coin, does it really matter?

4. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Interesting. I wouldn’t think scratches on the planchet would survive striking pressure.

5. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call them scratches. I think it's something to do with the process of rolling the planchets flat. More experienced minds on this forum will probably chip in with their thoughts.

6. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

So if this is die polishing lines, then it should be an easily recognizable VAM and there must be more examples..... it's on the dies right?

these are NOT striations. I am certain of that.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  7. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

Never clean coins - I've tried to keep to that mantra. But when I receive cheaper, smaller silver coins that are especially tarnished, I wash and rinse & air dry them; then use a jewelry polishing cloth (silver) that reacts chemically with no abrasion. Tarnish is removed and no scratches. I do not use them on my larger, more expensive silver coins because I don't know if that will detract numismatically or not. Any guidelines?

8. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Definitely die polish.

9. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Die polish marks in the fields. I don't like the term "die polish" as polish suggests a mirror like surface, prepared with care. Something like "die repair marks" makes more sense, as the mint workers used abrasives on sticks to rub off damage or rust or whatever on the dies, under the pressure of production demands. This was done hastily to get the dies back into use.
    The cheek marks look like "roller" or "drawing bench" marks as noted above.

Dynoking and CommemHalfScrub like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted