Cleaned coins vs Uncleaned coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Chip Kirkpatrick, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Thank you

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bruthajoe

bruthajoe Still Recovering

ripple likes this.
  4. bruthajoe

I was able to produce cleaning marks in the same penny with an eraser. For reference to cleaning marks. Original scratches, Image 1.
    I then aggressively "erased" north to south creating vertical cleaning lines and actually removing some scratches, to my surprise, but at the same time removing the luster - Image 2. Then I "erased" east to west and cleaning marks became very apparent - Image 3. This was just for personal visual reference. 200101_122817.jpg 200101_123500.jpg 200101_123638.jpg Note: With a loupe, there is no discernable evidence of this aggressive type of cleaning. This is only noticable under high mag. Even cartwheel remains.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  5. bruthajoe

And thank you for looking.

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Excellent documentation! Thanks for posting this!

But I'll bet that those microscopic scratches would still catch the light if it hits from the right angle, and that would be visible even without magnification.

ripple and bruthajoe like this.
  7. bruthajoe

Yes Jeff, you are right. I was hasty. I can see the lines with just the right light and just the right angle under about 3x. You really have to try and can only see them from 1 perspective, and once you see them they are obvious.

ripple likes this.
  8. bruthajoe

A very steep angle 40 degrees and rotating the coin just so, made the damage pop out. 200101_145534.jpg 200101_145643.jpg

Goldsayshi463, ripple and -jeffB like this.
  9. Owle

Owle Junior Member

The market seems to like either white coins with silver or colorfully toned if it is real. So dipping seems to be a market necessity if it can be done well, properly conserved. PCGS and NGC have the best chemicals for that if you can wait and are willing to pay the expense.

ripple likes this.
  10. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

When the die is scratched, it will create troughs in the surface. The edges of the troughs will be raised, like berms on a dyke. These would look indented on the coin. You cannot have just the indentations on a coin without the raised marks from the scratches on the die. I have a 1916 Barber Quarter with severe die polishing on obverse and reverse. It impairs the luster, but the coin is graded MS63 by PCGS.

bruthajoe and ripple like this.
  11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

ripple likes this.
  12. GDJMSP

CGS ? Not sure (for both questions) what they would say because I'm not all that familiar with them to be honest.

But die scratches should be accounted for and thought of as flaws/detractions when grading because that's exactly what they are, flaws. They are not supposed to be there. Die scratches are no different than die cracks or clash marks, they are all flaws because they are simply not supposed to be there.

To understand this ask yourself a simple question. If you have 2 identical coins, with the only difference being one has either, die scratches, die cracks, or clash marks, then can the coin with any of those 3, or even all of them, possibly grade as high as the coin without them ? The answer should obviously be no it cannot.

As for whether or not someone call a coin with die scratches harshly cleaned; well, if they didn't recognize the die scratches for what they are - they might say it had been harshly cleaned. But if they did, they would be wrong.

Sure it could, and in fact they often do. This is because any scratch, in a coin or a die, not only results in an incuse line in the coin or die it also results in a raised line right along side the incuse line. It's a simple matter of physics, the displaced metal has to go someplace, it doesn't just disappear. And where it goes is into a raised line right beside the incuse line of the scratch.

This is also why some folks mistakenly call die scratches die polishing lines. It's because they are seeing the raised lines from the scratch and thinking that because they are raised they have to be die polish lines. But they're wrong, they don't have to be at all.

When you know how, it is quite easy to distinguish die scratches, scratches on the coin, and die polishing lines, all from each other. Even when all 3 are found on the exact same coin - and even all 3 being on the same coin is common.

All of this is why it so confusing for a lot of folks. Even those who should know better.

chascat, bruthajoe and ripple like this.
  13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Or it curls away from the surface and falls off, right?

Run a piece of sandpaper over a metal surface, then look at the sandpaper. There'll likely be a dark streak on it. That's metal that's been removed from the surface.

I'm sure some, maybe most, die lines result from metal simply being pushed aside by a sharp object. But isn't it likely that at least some will mark places where metal was actually removed, leaving (on the die) a trench without a raised line, and (on the coin) a raised line without a trench?

14. GDJMSP

Sure it can happen that way Jeff, but it usually doesn't.

edit - The sad truth is most folks are completely unaware of what I've been writing about, explaining. But they need to get it ingrained into their heads, and remember it. For only then can they have a true understanding of what they are looking at when they see it. As with anything, knowledge goes a long, long ways :)

Dimedude2, ripple and -jeffB like this.
  15. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Outstanding thread and very educational

Peter Economakis, -jeffB and ripple like this.
  16. bruthajoe

Great explanation thanks. As to- CGS I just meant Coin Grading Services in general.

chascat likes this.
  17. Peter Economakis

Peter Economakis Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    so i'm reading that a wet all cotton Qtip is ok? on pennies at least?
    It's just to remove the usual crud that builds up around the dates and mint mark to get a better view.

18. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Not "wet" as in "water".
    Get some acetone instead and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS ABOUT ITS USE!!!

Peter Economakis likes this.
  19. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I wouldn't use a Q-tip, particularly not on an uncirculated or proof coin, or any coin of meaningful value.

On a worn coin of low/no value, it's probably no harm/no foul. However...

In most cases, a soak in acetone or xylene will safely remove that crud without the need for a Q-tip.

Peter Economakis and -jeffB like this.
  20. Peter Economakis

Peter Economakis Well-Known Member

Thanks! I was reading the posts on around page 2 of this thread with soaking in water and rolling a Qtip over the coin..
    Acetone and following strict instructions.. This on copper also?
    What about canned air for electronics. I have seen this canned air though leave specs of foam or something on my keyboard?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  21. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

W-tips? No way, not on my coins. Despite it being soft, it's still fibrous and that can leave small scratch marks.

Draft saved Draft deleted