Cleaned coins vs Uncleaned coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Chip Kirkpatrick, Jul 29, 2019.

1. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Once, just for my own curiousity, I got two different ordinary cents and rubbed one with a pink eraser and one with a non-abrasive high polymer white eraser. I wanted to see what would happen. Later, with the naked eye, I can see fine scratches on the one that I used the pink eraser on. But I couldn't see scratches (under 7X magnification) on the one rubbed with the high polymer eraser. Then I forgot what my point was and that was that.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bruthajoe

bruthajoe Still Recovering

OK I tested again with pink eraser. I don't mean to condone cleaning coins, especially with a pencil eraser but I see no obvious damage. I'm surprised yet again with the eraser. 191231_203627.jpg 191231_204236.jpg

JeffC and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  4. bruthajoe

LOL it looks good! hahaha

serafino likes this.
  5. bruthajoe

I really can't believe how well a stupid eraser works.
    I'm not buying anything on eBay anymore. Is just too damn easy to make a coin look good. 20191231_215129.gif

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I looked so please do not say I didn't. I do not profess that everything I saybis accurate but I do try. Since I'm human I do make mistakes and they still look like cleaning marks. Maybe it's a combination of both cleaning and Die polish lines.

bruthajoe likes this.
  7. ripple

ripple Active Member

Really good and interesting thread.

8. bruthajoe

I think it is a combination also. It's a little easier for me to see. But I've never cleaned the coin and I don't understand the scratches. Is it possible for a die to have a positive polish mark on it? Like a burr? That would cause a negative imprint?

9. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

That is a hard truth. I have only two trusted sources that I will buy coins from on the web for exactly this reason. One is a CT member. I would be lost without my local dealer.

bruthajoe and ripple like this.
  10. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

If you are a new collector, DO NOT clean your coins using any type of eraser!! Even if @bruthajoe can't see the difference, if you rub a coin with something abrasive (yes erasers are abrasive, that's how they work) you will remove metal from the surface. No ifs, ands, buts, or doubts.

On uncirculated coins, you will damage the microscopic flow lines that impart luster. On toned coins, including brown cents, you are removing the surface layer of metal on the coin.

In reality, it probably doesn't make a difference if you clean a common wheat cent or damaged coin, but new collectors need to be aware that cleaning, especially abrasive cleaning will be detectable and will diminish the value of your coin. It is possible to properly clean a coin so that it isn't noticeable, but that is usually done by experts with lots of experience and knowledge of chemistry/metallurgy as well as the minting process.

I have no problem with @bruthajoe experimenting. That's a good way to learn. I just want to make it clear to new collectors that running and abrasive cleaning will be detectable in your coins

bruthajoe likes this.
  11. bruthajoe

Ha!

12. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I have a few details coins in my type set. I know they were cleaned, I like the way they look, and I like the price I paid for them. Not a problem.

serafino likes this.
  13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There are both coin scratches and die scratches on that coin.

Granted that's what most folks call them, but in reality they are die scratches, not die polish lines.

ripple likes this.
  14. bruthajoe

This thread is allot more civil than my thread on deoxidation. I was accused of trolling and being anti-intellectual. Lol It's all fun.

15. bruthajoe

What are die "scratches"?? How do they happen?

ripple likes this.
  16. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Basically the same thing that coin scratches are, only on a die - the metal of the die is scratched. How ? Many different ways it can happen. It can occur when the die is being placed into the press, it can occur when a die is moved from one place to another during the normal course of operations, and it can occur during actual use of the die. For example, during use fine metal shavings can accumulate on the machinery and some them can get onto the surface of the die. And then during a single and/or multiple strikes, while the metal of the planchet is flowing those shavings can be dragged along and flow with it thus scratching the die. Or, if a blob of oil or grease accumulates on the machinery that can be transferred to the die surface resulting in struck through grease errors. And when the spot inspector notices that happening he grabs a rag and wipes the die off - thus scratching the die.

And that's just a few, there's countless more ways.

ripple and bruthajoe like this.
  18. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I can not answer these questions as I've never spent time researching them. My apologies.

bruthajoe likes this.
  19. bruthajoe

I found this in the forum...

Collecting Nut likes this.
  20. bruthajoe

Would a CGS consider "die scratches" distractions? Would they call the coin "cleaned"?

21. bruthajoe

Can a die have positive marks that would create negative impressions that resemble scratches?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted