Cleaned Coin with Straight Grade?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Endeavor, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Looks like this coin might have been harshly cleaned (see parallel scrub marks on surface) but still got a straight grade (AU53 and not Details) from NGC. Sales price is below market too. Maybe seller knows this one is misgraded??

What are your thoughts?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

My thoughts are that the coin is no more than VF-30 .. it has a great deal of wear, let alone the circulation and cleaning scratches. I think that the wrong coin is in the holder.

Endeavor likes this.
  4. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

My god those graders' eyes are on a vacation!!! That's hyper obvious. The problem is, once it's in a holder, it must be original. That's the problem with well-made artificial toned coins. Once they get in that holder with a normal grade, they're all of a sudden original toned coins, until one person cracks it out to get a higher grade and realizes that the $500 they spent is wasted.

Also I have noticed that the prices that toned coins go for will forever go higher and higher because of the "Toned Coin Effect" (just made that up). It's when if a coin, for example, is sold at $100, the buyer expects to be able to sell for a couple bucks more. So that same coin goes for $140. And then it goes for $160 because the buyer had the same thought. And so on and so on. Also, the "High-Price Toned Coin Effect" (made that up on the spot too) is useful when you need to make a lot of profit. If you buy a coin for $50 and you put it for sale at $150, the "Toned Coin Effect" comes into play, and the possible buyer assumes that you paid a bit less than $150 for it. So they will be willing to pay $150 because they think it is more valuable than it really is. Please tell me if you understand or you can relate to what I just talked about.

Endeavor likes this.
  5. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

Oh my. Not NGC's best work.

Gallienus and Endeavor like this.
  6. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Even if you were blind and used your fingers to grade you wouldn't call it AU!

Stevearino and Endeavor like this.
  7. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

We are in the USA and not Europe so I suggest that any of you who think the coin is not at least an AU-50 or is harshly cleaned take a coin grading class. And just to moderate my post, it is an XF-45 at the minimum. ;)

The clue is in the details remaining and the amount of luster.

Mike Thorne likes this.
  8. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

By French grading standards this coin would be right around SUP, or EF.

longshot likes this.
  9. HAB Peace 28 2.0

HAB Peace 28 2.0 The spiders are as big as the door

The seller is actually pretty fair & good. At least, I think so?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  10. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

I am still amazed that there are folks out there that see this coin as no less than a 45, let alone a 50 or 53. If you click on the 2nd image and put your magnifying pointer on it, you will see from the hair, laurel wreath, earlobe and eyebrow that this coin doesn't even meet an XF grading standard. I might raise my initial VF-30 to a 35 because of the Reverse, but that's not the most important side.

PlanoSteve likes this.
  11. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Here's one of mine. I don't think I paid much more than the current Ebay price for the NGC-53 graded specimen in the OP (I recall about 2x the price). Unfortunately mine doesn't have the "toning effect" so it won't get that pricing uplift. The "white sparkels" are actually not scratches but are just sparkels in reflection when I took the photo. I don't like the NGC grade for the 1842-W as it does appear to have a bit too much wear and scratches for a 53. Is 1842 Lille mint a rare date? Mine is a common 1847.[​IMG]

Stevearino likes this.
  12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The light scratches and hairlines on that coin appear to be from ordinary wear and tear - not harsh cleaning. No, I don't agree with the grade they gave it, but they got the clean grade part right. Don't know that I could agree to 45 like Mike but I might.

Draft saved Draft deleted