Clean up in aisle 5!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Christie21, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Sholom

Sholom retired...

I didn't know about tineye.com -- very cool. Very useful!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

I've seen that happen a lot.

The seller lists the city as Houston, Texas. My backyard.

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Many moons ago the OP posted in the For Sale forum some links to ebay, but that seller (the OP?) was in Haileah, Florida.

5. Hookman

Yeah, it seems like a faker just trying to get some attention, and thus higher prices, for his coins.

Well at least this person recognized Coin Talk !! as the place to find coin collectors.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Interesting website, I'd never heard of it either. But, just for giggles I decided to test it a little bit so I uploaded my avatar and let it search for that image. The earliest use it found was 2009, but I've been using it as my avatar about 10 years longer than that. Been using it here in fact on this forum since I joined in 2002. And used it elsewhere for several years prior to that.

So while it's an interesting website and could come in handy in some cases, it obviously has its limitations.

7. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

They explocitly don’t allow it. Whether or not they enforce it, that is the question.

Hookman likes this.
  8. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Wouldn't it be limited to when the software came online? I mean if the website started searching the web in 2009 for images it can't go back in time and know that the image posted in 2009 has been in use since 2002. Ya see what I mean? ...

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

https://archive.org/web/
    The wayback machine. They also offer an API so you can link the web's past into your own programming.

Jim

10. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

So there is nothing suspicious about the timeline with the OPs picture. First used in 2014 when she was 21. In 2015 she signs up for CT and uses the photo as an avatar. 4 years later she is 25 as noted in her bio and later this year she will turn 26 which the math works.

11. Hookman

Three of the posted auctions have been removed by.....eBay?

I just bid on the remaining ones. We'll see what happens.

12. NoviceCoinSeller

NoviceCoinSeller New Member

I'm the seller. Thanks Hookman for letting me know about this thread. The reason I mention PCGS catalog numbers is so people know exactly what coin they're bidding for in case they want to easily look it up. That's all. There was no attempt by me to somehow defraud the public. I am new to the hobby and selling because my 102 year old grandmother's hospice care is about $6k a month and needs the extra income. I guess she didn't figure on living this long. I used "not proof like" because I wanted to assure potential buyers that my judgement of the coin was that it would not be PL or DMPL at all. That was my only intent. I did a few and then realized that it was probably not worth it to mention because I had already stated that I was not an expert. I simply didn't want people buying the coins and returning them because of something I wrote in the auction. My intent was not to draw in more bidders by using the word proof.

Three of the auctions were automatically taken down by eBay for "keyword spamming". I figured it was the "proof like" wording, so I took that out and re-listed.

And Mr. johnmilton, I'll let my grandmother know that the collection she started for her son who later died at 17 in a car accident isn't up to snuff. She grew up poor in northeastern Louisiana, went to nursing school in Shreveport, and saved to be able to care for her children. The coins are listed as "uncertified" in the area where more details are given, so I assumed this was all on the up and up, but again, such a huge disappointment to some.

I have had a couple people get mad at me because I clearly stated in my terms that I do not ship to PO Boxes because of fraud I've had to endure when selling other items before. But, they didn't read the terms, bid, and won anyway. It wouldn't surprise me if the young lady who posted was one of those people. To some, when the world doesn't bend to your liking, it's always someone else's fault.

It's funny to me that I've listed so many coins starting well below value but some people have to imagine that there is some malicious intent in the way I've posted on eBay. I'm trying to help the woman who took care of me when I was younger by not overvaluing the coins and getting "fair market value". That's all. I did not go to the "how to post coins" eBay class. Sorry.

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yeah, I do see what ya mean. But you apparently do not see what I mean. For example, look at the date stamp on this -
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/time-for-a-change-in-our-change.170/

The page that contains that thread is right there, readily available to anyone and everyone, including the software that runs tineye.com . So if the software was functioning correctly and searching the internet for uses of images, it should be able to easily see that page - along with all of the others that I posted back then, all of which are dated. All of those pages still exist - today !

Now the wayback machine that Jim mentioned, that takes care of all, or at least a lot of, the websites that are no longer in existence and readily available for viewing to people or software. And what you're talking about, what you mean, yes that applies to the wayback machine because it cannot now, nor could it when it was created, search for things that ceased to exist before it was created. Unless it also has access to other historical archives that predate its own existence. In other words, it, the wayback machine, could only search and archive things that were in existence as of the date of its creation.

So now do you see what I mean ? Why I say the software has some limitations ?

14. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I absolutely see what you are saying about the limitations and I was specifically pointing out one of them. You just pointed out others as well. We are definately on agreement there.

Draft saved Draft deleted