Clean, leave or cry

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by JulesUK, Dec 4, 2019.

1. JulesUK

JulesUK Well-Known Member

Afternoon everyone,
    Can you assist as the how best to proceed with this recent acquisition?
    I understand the redness is oxidisation, however, do I attempt to clean (distilled water,q-tip) or do I just leave well alone, or do you have any further advice?

F7D61E32-4058-4283-BC79-5805E61BE74F.jpeg 8752189E-8B71-4E43-BA54-CAD50AD8CA91.jpeg

octavius, ominus1, Alegandron and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

Leave well enough alone. As you can see from the reverse and the high points on the obverse, it's already been harshly cleaned, exposing bare metal. There's nothing left to clean. Red oxidation like that, in my experience, doesn't tend to come off with any amount of scrubbing.

4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I agree with @SeptimusT IMO, no good will come from trying to remove the oxidized material

ominus1 and JulesUK like this.
  5. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I love reddish patina. Keep it as is. :)

46F144C7-A277-4113-8C0B-8E71344DFB86.jpeg E00C925A-AEBA-4664-A81F-67ACB8A946B1.jpeg 987CAAC2-BF08-45B6-B251-43AD391158F8.jpeg

ominus1, Orielensis and Marsyas Mike like this.
  6. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd leave it alone. In my limited experience, that reddish patina seems pretty permanent - which is to say removing it would probably lead to destruction of the coin's surface. Perhaps an expert "smoother" could work wonders, but I wouldn't try it myself.

Sometimes the reddish patina is attractive. Sometimes not so much. Here is a Marcus Aurelius sestertius that has an unpleasant case of the "reds" - it seems pretty permanent to me:

Marcus Aurelius  - Sest. Jupiter seated July 2019 (0).jpg

ominus1, JulesUK and Bing like this.
  7. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

I am intrigued. Though I have some experience cleaning silver coins, I hesitate from cleaning bronze. Yet, I'm interested in this 'red oxidation'. Does anyone have ideas what it actually might be?

8. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

There are 6 kinds of patinas that occur on copper:

Equation 1: 4Cu + O2 → 2Cu2O [red to pink]

Equation 2: 2Cu2O + O2 → 4CuO [black]

Equation 3: Cu + S → CuS [black]

Equation 4: 2CuO + CO2 + H2O → Cu2CO3(OH)2 [“malachite,” dark green to blue]

Equation 5: 3CuO + 2CO2 + H2O → Cu3(CO3)2(OH)2 [“azurite,” blue to purple]

Equation 6: 4CuO + SO3 + 3H2O → Cu4SO4(OH)6 [“brochantite,” dark green to emerald]

coin_nut, Stevearino, KarlB and 9 others like this.
  9. JulesUK

JulesUK Well-Known Member

Ok, so LEAVE is the answer and kind of what i was thinking. I love the underlying coin itself so i will retire it to a paper envelope and look for an opportunity to post it again sometime in the future, perhaps on another serpent thread?
    Grazie.

octavius likes this.
  10. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

2Cu 2O. Perhaps from being used as a ferry token to cross the Styx.

Stevearino and JulesUK like this.
  11. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Leave it alone. The bronze parts are already overcleaned. The red stuff will be impossible to remove and trying will only damag the coin further.

JulesUK likes this.
  12. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

I agree - leave it alone. Cleaning it will only strip the patina and ruin your coin.

JulesUK likes this.
  13. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I would leave it alone, too, but only after I squirted a little 3-in-1 oil on a soft rag and tried rubbing some of the oxide off, most likely discovering that it didn't help much. Sorry, but I can't help trying stuff like that.

JulesUK likes this.
  14. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

There is also tin and other metals in ancient bronzes that also form multiple compounds, making cleaning them chemically more difficult.

I agree that the red is probably mostly copper oxide, and it can only be removed by strongish acids or electrolysis, both of which will leave pitting.

Just enjoy it the way it is.

John

JulesUK likes this.
  15. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Interesting link. Does this mean you should soak the coin in salt water or leave it outside? Ken Dorney was giving updates on a coin he placed on a roof.

16. Archeocultura

Archeocultura Well-Known Member

These Nemausus coins tend to have a high content of tin in them. They seldom really rot, but cleaning can only be done here bij stripping it completely, which will remove the oxides, but will leave a rough surface.

Theodosius likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted