Claudius II Mystery - One-Sided Silver?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by gsimonel, Aug 21, 2019.

1. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I received the coin below in a large batch of antoninanii: ClaudiusII.jpg
    Claudius II ("Gothicus"),
    A.D. 268-270
    Obv: IMP C CLAVDIVS AVG
    21 mm
    2.1g

The reverse is blank. It doesn't look like it is just worn off. Even under magnification, I can find no evidence that there was ever anything stamped there. Nor do I see any trace of filing or other means of deliberate removal of the reverse.

The metal looks like debased silver--the type of silver you would expect to find on a typical denarius from, say, Severus Alexander or a Gordian III antoninianus.

Is it possible that the coin split into two separate sides, obverse and reverse? Or is it really one-sided, and if so, what was its intended purpose? Test strike? Medal?

Any ideas what this coin's story is?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I suspect it was two blanks stuck together when struck. Many such coins show imperfect alignment so there is a bit of a rim on the reverse but yours looks like they were well aligned.

5. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Seems likely. The coin is very thin. If stuck to another equally thin planchet, then they could easily have been mistaken for one.

Any thoughts about the metal? I know most of his antoninianii had a silver wash, but this metal is uniform throughout. Judging by the portrait, I'm guessing this coin came from Antioch. Are there other solid silver/billon coins of C2G from Antioch, perhaps from very early in his reign?

6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Very interesting coin. No idea why the reverse appears to be blank though. I thought that Gallienus had completely debased the antoninianus by the end of his reign, so I'm not sure why it appears to be a silver coin.

7. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

They do seem to exist in quite silvery billon from Antioch. Here's an example sold by Agora a few years ago:
    [​IMG]

And here's my double-weight (6.29g) Gallienus with two flans stuck together:
    Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 8.32.11 AM.jpg

Here you can see how thick it is compared to a normal antoninianus:
    [​IMG]

7Calbrey, Alegandron and Bing like this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Well now, THAT's purdy cool, @Severus Alexander !

Severus Alexander likes this.
  9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I like this explanation for my "mystery" one-sided Roman Quinarius. I cannot see any rubbing or abrasion marks on the reverse, suggesting that it was filed or worn off. Maybe I am wrong, but perhaps this was one of two blanks being simultaniously pounded.

RI Augustus Quinarius - possibly Asia Recepta - blank wore-off-rev.JPG
    RI Augustus Quinarius - possibly Asia Recepta - blank wore-off-rev?

Draft saved Draft deleted