Claudian Imitative and Irregular coinage

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by jamesicus, Oct 27, 2018.

1. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

In COINS OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE IN THE BRITISH MUSEUM (BMCRE), Volume I (Augustus to Vitellius) - Introduction to Claudius Chronology, Harold Mattingly points out that there were numerous imitations of Claudius aes coinage, some of them barbarous, during this period. These coins were produced throughout the northern frontier - notably in Gaul and Britannia - often by unskilled fabricators using unofficial dies. These local imitations were frequently accepted (and countermarked) by Roman Officials for use by both the Roman military and civilian population.

In his discussion relating to Countermarks Mattingly also points out that their main purpose was to extend the circulation of coins under new authority - and in some instances to also denote re-valuation of coinage denominations. The countermarks were heavily incused (stamped within a border), mostly on the coin obverses, in order to survive prolonged usage and wear.

Countermarks may also have been applied to confirm the continued validity of old and much worn or inferior coins, particularly when the supply of new coins to frontier areas fell short of established goals.

In his article "The Countermark PROB on Coins of Claudius I from Britain" (The Numismatic Chronicle Vol. 148 {1988}, pp. 53-61), Robert Kenyon records that after his conquest of Britain in 42AD (and maybe planned before) Claudius issued large quantities of early OB CIVES SERVATOS (without PP) and SPES Sestertii of 41AD (minted in Rome) for use in general commerce in Britain. All of this coinage was countermarked PROB (Probatum = approved) on the coin obverse.

In my experience surviving countermarked coins from this period of Britannic history are usually much worn and in not very good condition, but they often have great historical association.

TYPICAL SPES SESTERTIUS ISSUED BY THE ROMAN MINT

[​IMG][​IMG]
    RIC VOl. I, CLAUDIUS, SESTERTIUS, Rome No. 99, 41-50 AD, (36mm, 25.3gm)
    Obverse depiction: Claudius, laureate head facing right
    Reverse depiction: Personification of Spes
    holding flower in right hand and demurely raising skirt with left hand

TYPICAL IMITATIVE SPES SESTERTIUS

[​IMG]

Pangeri 85d, (30mm, 15.02gm)
    Countermarked DV on obverse

Enlargement of DV countermark:

[​IMG]

This is an official revaluation countermark indicating this coin is now designated a dupondius due to its low weight.

TYPICAL IRREGULAR OB CIVES SERVATOS SESTERTIUS

[​IMG][​IMG]

BMCRE, Vol. I, CLAUDIUS, SESTERTIUS, Rome, No. 120, 41-45AD (38mm, 29.2gm)
    Countermarked PROB
    Mattingly note - Cmk. in oblong incuse in front of neck and face; end of legend obliterated
    Reverse depiction: Civic Oak Wreath
    Inscription in four lines:

EX SC
    O B
    C I V E S
    SERVATOS

(within Civic Oak Wreath)

Enlargement of PROB countermark:

[​IMG]

I believe this to be an irregular issue coin (struck from locally made unofficial dies). Note the flattened and bulged area on the reverse resulting from the very heavily struck countermark on the obverse which was carelessly positioned almost off the flan. The inscriptional lettering on the reverse is somewhat uneven and not very well formed.

Later (PP marked) coins were not so Countermarked and were probably not circulated in Britain

[​IMG][​IMG]

BMCRE Vol. I, CLAUDIUS, SESTERTIUS, Rome, No. 185, 42AD and on (38mm, 29.8gm)
    Plate 36
    Mattingly note - with PP (Pater Patriae) marking

EX SC
    P P
    OB CIVES
    SERVATOS

(within Civic Oak Wreath)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    eparch, Ajax, randygeki and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jamesicus

I really messed up my previous post and I have consequently edited it extensively. I wish to add now that I am no expert or authority on this coinage - I am trying to learn more about it myself by the way of additional posts and the input of fellow enthusiasts.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  4. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Jamesiscus, it's interesting to see even contemporary fakes were counter-stamped & used along with genuine coinage. Looks there must have been a coin shortage at that time.

5. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Interesting post. Thanks for the write-up.

jamesicus likes this.
  6. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I found this interesting too. In thinking about it, I don't think the empire had any problems with claiming this money (that they didn't make) as their own "issue" through a countermark, meaning it then could be used and reclaimed as theirs if they wanted... "You know this money you made? It's mine now, thank you very much. But I'll let you use it. And I'll let you know when I want it back. You're welcome!"
    20181027_075542.jpg

jamesicus and TIF like this.
  7. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Interesting series.

I wonder if unofficial coins were countermarked by the legitimate government at other times and places?

John

jamesicus and ominus1 like this.
  8. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

wow..that's neat and kool coins to have...

jamesicus likes this.
  9. jamesicus

I wish I would have paid more attention to Countermarked coins when I first began collecting Julio Claudian coins many years ago. Now I am attempting to make up for that inattention. I believe that Harold Mattingly still provides the most complete and reliable information relating to Countermarks - and indeed to the chronology of early Julio Claudian coins in general - in Volume one of BMCRE (Coins of the Roman Empire in the British Museum). There is a free online archived copy at:

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.69977/page/n5

I recommend reading in particular the Countermarks section starting at page xxviii and the Claudius Chronology section beginning at page cli for information that is especially relevant to this discussion.

Justin Lee likes this.
  10. jamesicus

Indeed there was, Al. As the frontier campaigns during the reign of Augustus - especially those in Gaul and Germania - expanded, the requirement for official coinage to satisfy the needs of both the soldiers and civilians became a real problem. The commonplace aes coinage of everyday commerce was in especially short supply. That coinage was issued by the Senate (S.C. - Senatus Consulto) and there were no local mints in existence to issue official coinage. In consequence, large quantities of Augustus “moneyer” series aes coins were countermarked to signify official issue and shipped to frontier regions. The countermarking system and procedures were new and there was evidently some confusion as to who would stamp the Countermarks. At least that is my take on all this ………

COUNTERMARKED AUGUSTUS MONEYER AS

[​IMG]

BMCRE, Vol. I, AUGUSTUS, AS, Rome, No. 141, 15 BC (27mm, 8.3gm)
    Obverse depiction: Civic Wreath
    Four unknown Countermarks
    Reverse depiction: Large S C
    Unknown Countermark

Johndakerftw, Justin Lee and Bing like this.
  11. jamesicus

I am sure they were, John, but it seems that by far the greatest countermarking activity took place during the Julio-Claudian era.

Justin Lee likes this.
  12. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I believe there was a fair amount taking place in Syria during the Severan dynasty (not nearly as much as Julio-Claudian though).

And some there (Syria) during the Flavian times, too (even less than both previously mentioned though).

jamesicus likes this.
  13. jamesicus

The assumption of PP (Pater Patriae - “Father of the Nation”) by Claudius, which did not happen until he returned from his conquest of Britain in AD 43, was significant for his aes coinage because no aes coins with PP in the titulature were shipped to frontier regions and therefor were not countermarked. To recap ………

Claudius perceived that it was imperative for him to accomplish a great feat of arms in order to enhance his prestige with the Senate and prove himself worthy of the title of Augustus. His own father NERO CLAUDIUS DRUSUS and brother GERMANICUS had been acclaimed as great military leaders on the northern frontier and he was determined to emulate their successes. His predecessor (and nephew), CALIGULA, had set out to conquer Britain and add that island outpost to the Empire, but had failed. Now Claudius was determined to fulfill that mission and to that end in AD 43 he dispatched an advanced force consisting of four legions commanded by a renowned general, AULUS PLAUTIUS to invade Britain and engage the Britannic forces there.

Shortly thereafter Claudius landed in Britain and assumed command of the army led by General Plautius. In short order Claudius accepted the surrender of the Britannic forces, appointed Plautius Governor of Britannia and subsequently returned to Rome to celebrate his Triumph.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    RIC Vol. I, CLAUDIUS, SESTERTIUS, Rome, No. 112, 50-54AD (36mm, 28.2gm)
    EX SC
    P P
    OB CIVES
    SERVATOS
    (within wreath)

14. jamesicus

Claudius also Countermarked and issued asses and dupondii of Caligula in order to extend the supply of money after his expedition to Britain and his subsequent conquest of the island.

Mattingly lists TIAV (Tiberius Claudius Augustus) as the Countermark used by Claudius on those coins. They were issued for extended circulation in Britain by Claudius following his Victory there.

These were the common Roman denominations used as legal tender in Britannia - evidently for a very long time, for many are found in very worn condition.

Following is an example of such a Countermarked coin:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Much worn Germanicus SIGNIS RECEPT dupondius
    BMCRE, Vol I, Caligula, No. 93 (RIC, Vol I, No. 57)
    Reverse: Claudius Countermark TIAV in oblong incuse to left of head
    Mattingly, BMCRE, Vol. I, Caligula, No. 93 & Plate 30

Enlargement of TIAV countermark:

[​IMG]

Gary R. Wilson and Johndakerftw like this.
  15. jamesicus

ANOTHER TYPICAL IMITATIVE SPES SESTERTIUS

[​IMG]

Pangeri 85d, (32mm, 16.05gm)
    Countermarked DV on obverse

Enlargement of DV countermark:

[​IMG]

This is a devaluation countermark indicating this coin is revalued as a dupondius due to its low weight.

Johndakerftw likes this.
  16. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

For a topic about which I had no knowledge nor prior interest, this is really well written and quite interesting as well as helping me learn something that I didn't know.

Claudius is one of my favorite emperors, and while I knew that he conquered Britain and established London, as a civilian Roman city, I wasn't aware of the coinage and monetary issues faced by the Romans in Britain.

Thanks for posting this.

eparch, Justin Lee and jamesicus like this.
  17. jamesicus

Here is a much clearer photograph of TIAV countermark on an As originally issued by Caligula:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Agrippa Obverse & Neptune reverse As
    BMCRE, Vol I, Tiberius, No. 168 (RIC, Vol I, No. 58)
    Plate 26
    Reverse: Claudius Countermark TIAV (A and V ligatured) in oblong incuse to left of head of Neptune.

"in hand" enlargement of countermark:

[​IMG]
    Neptune reverse
    As, BMCRE, Vol I, Tiberius, No. 168 (RIC, Vol I, No. 58)
    Plate 26
    Reverse: Claudius Countermark TIAV in oblong incuse to left of head of Neptune.

Theodosius, Bing and Johndakerftw like this.
  18. jamesicus

Just to repeat this information that might have become buried in the posts.

19. jamesicus

Justin Lee likes this.
  20. jamesicus

Thank you - you are most welcome.

21. jamesicus

Nero also Countermarked and issued Claudius aes coinage in order to extend the supply of money in Britain after the death of Claudius.

This coinage was countermarked NCAPR - which is interpreted different ways by collectors and researchers, with the most popular and frequently used interpretation being Nero Claudius Augustus Probavit.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    BMCRE, Vol. I, CLAUDIUS, SESTERTIUS, Rome, No. 123, 41-45AD (35mm, 22.3gm)
    Countermarked NCAPR in oblong incuse rectangle behind head
    Reverse depiction: Triumphal arch surmounted by equestrian statue of Nero Claudius Drusus

This coin was well struck and centered. Likewise, the countermark is well struck and correctly positioned. I believe this to be a coin originally produced at the Rome mint and then shipped to Gaul or Britain where it was countermarked and re-issued as official coinage.

Enlargement of NCAPR countermark:

[​IMG]

Bing, Justin Lee and Johndakerftw like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted