Class I Doubled Die.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Hunting Rare, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Hunting Rare

Hunting Rare Active Member

Here is my first informational coin graphic I made to highlight the rarest class of hub doubling....

What do you think?

IMG_6199.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yawn! ~ Chris

frankjg likes this.
  4. Hunting Rare

What does yawn mean, Chris?

Is it inaccurate in anyway?

5. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

I think your graphic is helpful to people looking for these sorts of errors/ varieties. I've not seen one like this here before.

The only thing I wish was that the photo of the coin was clearer. I know that not everyone can take clear, high resolution, extreme macro shots that are tack sharp focus, even with fancy camera setups. It also looks like too much sharpening has been applied by software, perhaps this is a cell phone photo, or your post-processing software had sharpening set too high?

I am not complaining, I just think that your image would be more helpful if it was less distorted, so this something you could perhaps improve upon for future iterations of your coin graphics.

Good first start!

Hunting Rare likes this.
  6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

What coin are you showing ?? Are you familiar with the complete "design" of the memorial for comparison?

A class I doubled die results when the die receives an additional hubbing that is misaligned in a clockwise or counterclockwise direction. Pivot point is in the middle (know this as other classes the Pivot point is in different locations).

Thus the outer edge lettering/devices will show more extreme doubling than devices near the center. It's like a wheel rotating.
    For instance the 1955 DD you can see the rotation. The Y is less spaced from the 2nd image, than the L which is spaced far more from the 2nd L.
    upload_2020-2-14_8-47-44.png

This includes the entire design. These are very obvious to the naked eye.

The most famous examples of Class I Rotated Doubled Dies are:
    · 1955 Lincoln Cent Doubled Die
    · 1969-S Lincoln Cent DD
    · 1970-S Lincoln Cent DD
    · 1971 Lincoln Cent DD
    · 1972 Lincoln Cent D

1955 example: notice IGWT, the date and liberty
    upload_2020-2-14_8-31-58.png

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    slackaction1 likes this.
  7. Bluntflame

Bluntflame Well-Known Member

8. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Hunting Rare likes this.
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I just found that your illustration was not very helpful. Furthermore, if you plan to use this as an educational tool, it would help if you explained exactly how this form of doubling happens.

Please accept my apology for being so disinterested by your first post. ~ Chris

Hunting Rare likes this.
  10. Hunting Rare

Thank you for your thoughtful, informative, constructive criticism. I greatly appreciate your insight. :)

11. Hunting Rare

Of course I accept your apology. It was the first one I've made in my entire life. I think it was a solid start, with great room for improvement and better explanation.

jafo50 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted