Clashed Indian.....

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dug13, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Dug13

Dug13 Well-Known Member

Can anyone identify what clashed with this cent?

3FF868EE-6AB8-4D50-80ED-05C31B70C309.jpeg FA189536-0447-4338-BA42-721FC89A1356.jpeg DA960B52-EA0E-47F2-8181-709D1FDD9E29.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

4. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

IMHO, On the obverse, by the bridge of the nose, looks like the C from CENT on the reverse. And parts of the wreath.

Collecting Nut, ZoidMeister and tibor like this.
  5. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

@thomas mozzillo is correct in my opinion. That is a very strong clash.
    A definite keeper.

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That's one crazy clash! Super prominent. Very nice!

(Very nice coin to begin with.)

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Nice bold clash on both sides. Pretty coin.

capthank likes this.
  8. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

9. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

That's a neat and attractive IHC. I happen to love clashes, die cracks, etc. I also loved Marilyn Monroe's beauty mole, so there you go.

Jim Dale likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That's an excellent die clash and it's very strong. The reverse caused the clash.

11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Plaids, stripes and polkadots would clash. Sorry, just couldn't resist.
    Nice coin. I really love obvious clashes.

tibor likes this.
  12. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

The correct answer to the OP's question is the obverse die clashed with the reverse die at one point before the same two dies struck the planchet to make this small cent. :smug:

13. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Nice response everyone it's not very often that CT members agree. I like the coin it's a definite keeper congrats.

14. Dug13

Dug13 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone, always had just a basic understanding of die clashes, but I just couldn’t wrap my head around this one. The Overlay site is great! It really helps with pulling it all together. I had read somewhere that in the mid1800’s there were many clashed coins with different imprints, I though this might be one of those. This one is definitly an indian die.

15. Joe Campbell

Joe Campbell Well-Known Member

That’s a great piece! Really love the ‘O’ clash on the obverse and the doubles clash on the reverse. Awesome.

16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I know what you mean. My Flying Eagle was clashed with a Seated Liberty Half. You can see the clash through AMERICA and above the Eagles head up to the wing. There are other places on the obverse for the clash as it shows but I'll not mention them.
    IMG_4316.JPG IMG_4317.JPG IMG_4319.JPG IMG_4323.JPG a

17. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

When it was judged, then it was not noted on the slab which it should have been. The problem is that they take less than five seconds to decide the grade on most coins. As they do with currency.

Draft saved Draft deleted