clashed dies letter transfer merc dime

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by heavycam.monstervam, Jun 22, 2015.

?

Does this look like letter transfer to you?

1. yes

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. no

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. maybe so

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

CAM02687.jpg CAM02687.jpg CAM02685.jpg CAM02684.jpg CAM02683.jpg 40137825.jpg Was cruising mercury (`45p ms66) when I stumbled across all of this design transfer AND what I believe might be letter transfer just in front of the axe blade. Looking at maddieclash.com and elsewhere there is no mention of letter transfer on any other merc dime to date. What say you? 2015-06-22-09-33-08.jpg
    Yes i realize my images are less than stellar (i obviously dont own a $100 microscope) but if you notice there is a raised round dot just above the tip of the highest leaf in front of the blade... opinions and comments are greatly appreciated!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I see nothing

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

When dies clash, an element that is recessed on a die will become raised in the transfer to the other die. So, when the coin is struck, the transfer to the coin would appear recessed.

In your case, the dot appears to be raised, so I don't think it is the letter "O". Besides, it is not the same shape or size and is not positioned correctly.

Chris

5. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

the dot u see would be the center of the "O" which would be the high point on the die that created the clash...

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  6. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

also the mark at 3 0'clock just below the leaves would be the outline of the back of her hair and at 9 o'clock between the leaves would be outline of her lips...

7. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

That certainly does look like the letter O from GOD.

8. nuMRmatist

nuMRmatist Well-Known Member

Makes me feel good there Treashunt, 'cause I don't see anything either. (but my nickname could be Schultz, 'cause I see nothing, know nothing, etc. ;) )

But now your wording - 'letter transfer', made me think of one of my own Merc's:

Is THIS a 'letter transfer'? (not tryin' to boost your thread here)...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The "O" (and it's center) are slightly oval, and the mark is round and slightly larger.

Chris

10. heavycam.monstervam

Is it possible that it could be the entire outline of the O? Grease filled maybe? The obverse is polished and abraded like crazy.....If so it IS about the right size for it, albeit misaligned just a squoze... you cant ignore the fact that Libertys profile(forehead, lips and back of cap are raised just like this dot... what else could the dot be????

11. heavycam.monstervam

Other RAISED areas on coin- Liberty's lips/chin forehead, back of cap... 2015-06-22-17-30-56.jpg

12. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

No.

13. heavycam.monstervam

What YOU have there is an ex jewelry piece or some sort of charm... with a hole drilled thru it...

14. heavycam.monstervam

And for the record, this isnt a junk bin coin we are discussing here... so its not PMD or 2 hillbillies messing around in a garage
    Heres the obverse

Attached Files:

15. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

There are a few things going on here , enlarge the image, look at the blade you will see the t from trust on the blade as well as a few other letters to me looks to be clashes .
    I also notice what looks to me as an "A" clash.just in front of the blades edge. I will copy and enlarge the image later and outline what I am seeing .

16. heavycam.monstervam

You sir have a good eye!!!! Not only do i see the T ob the blade but i can also see U & S right next to it!! I think we may be onto something here!! Ill try n snap a better photo! The toning & my images are making this way harder to see than it should be... in hand under 16x its plain as day!!

17. Paddy54

The over lay shows it lines up. The T is up against the back side of the blade.

18. heavycam.monstervam

I think these might show it a bit better (hopefully) CAM02697.jpg CAM02698.jpg CAM02699.jpg CAM02701.jpg

19. Paddy54

CAM02687.jpg
    If you enlarge the first image and compare the area's I have used the red arrows you'll see what I am questioning. There are two dots one larger and a smaller one on the blades edge. both are complete circles. I see an area that looks to be an A. next to the blades edge. also on the blade its self what looks to be and upside down T and some other letters on the blade. To me this is some sort of clashed die. I see other areas that look to me as being some sort of clash also but are not as strong as the ones pointed out.

20. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I never seen a drill hole look like that in all my years as a Tool and Die Maker .

21. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

The coin clearly displays clash marks, so, to those who say the original artifact is not an "O", I ask: what is it? it's in the exact right spot, it's approximately the right size, and it looks to be approximately the right shape. If there weren't additional clash marks supporting the theory, I'd be more inclined to shrug my shoulders and say I have no idea. But, unless I can get the coin in hand under a scope, I think the additional clash marks are really the best evidence we're going to see that the original spot is, indeed, an O clash.

Draft saved Draft deleted