Clashed Die? (1980-D Lincoln Cent)

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by orenthal, Jun 22, 2010.

1. orenthal

orenthal Junior Member

Hello,

I got this in change from a store.

Is this a "Clashed Die" error similar to the 1995 "prisoner cent" shown on page 33 of "Striking it Rich With Pocket Change"?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't think it is a die clash because the Memorial would not be imprinted across the bust of Lincoln since this would be an incuse area of the die. It is practically impossible for this to occur without shattering or completely damaging the die.

Chris

4. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

That is totally awesome. I hope its authentic because I've never seen such a strong prisoner cent and with rotated dies at that. What a great find...

5. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

This is not a prisoner cent, in fact it is not due to a die clash. if this is indeed real, and I don't see anything from these photos to say it isn't, this is flipped over double strike in collar. that is to say the coin was struck once, flipped over and landed back in the collar, and was struck again. Hopefully Mike Diamond will chime in on this because if I'm right it is worth much more than a simple die clash.

Richard

6. Captainkirk

Captainkirk 73 Buick Riviera owner

I agree, flip-over double strike. The impression on the background is not a mirror image, as in a squeeze job.

7. cncman

cncman Senior Member

thats an awesome find cool coin! So I guess the coin flipping would contribute to what looks like rotated dies?

8. cncman

cncman Senior Member

trying to understand the mechanics of this, the lighter image would be the original strike I assume?

9. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

It does appear to be a genuine, in-collar, flipover double strike. As a bonus, you have nice preservation of the first strike the form of a surface film afterimage. Evidently the coin was a bit grimy or oily.

I have a thing for surface film effects, so let me know if you ever want to sell it.

10. black-dog7315

black-dog7315 Junior Member

Die clashes can occur on the incused areas/design of a coin.

This masked indian die clash is one example of this.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted