Clarification for "No FG" Kennedy Half dollars

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Yacorie, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Yacorie

Yacorie Junior Member

I was curious about this particular coin since I see people saying they're finding them in boxes and I've yet to find one. I have a bunch of 1972 D, and a few other dates where the FG inititials are only barely visible at a specific angle. They aren't worn down, they just weren't clearly struck because of the polished die I guess.

In order to be a true "no fg" can there be any trace of either letter under a loupe?

Thank you in advance

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

The No FG can have no initials due to die abrasion and not a grease filled die. From what you've described, your No FG's are from grease filled dies.

Of the 4 I've personally handled, they all have the same die markers (other than the obvious). The stars below the tail feathers are extrtemely weak and the tail fethers themselves have no distinct definition.

[​IMG]

On the obverse, they all had the same die scratching through the WE TRUST portion of the motto.

[​IMG]

There can be no trace of the initials. Extremely weak initials just wont cut it.

I have to question if folks are saying they are finding these in boxes because they are really difficult to locate. PCGS has only attributed 7.

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Do they bring a premium high enough to be worth spending the money to get the certified as No FG mint errors? Last I knew they didn't, so why bother to send them in?

5. 19Lyds

I could almost guarantee you could sell them for a profit Michael.

6. Yacorie

Yacorie Junior Member

19Lyds - thank you for the clarification. I figured that very faint letters under a loupe wouldn't cut it, but I get the feeling that must be what people are finding as well.

I

7. BR549

BR549 Junior Member

Lots of sellers on flea-bay selling hype, as in "Weak FG" no such thing exists, it's either NO FG or nothing. As I understand it, the reverse die was not abraded but was purposely polished by an over zealous Mint employee and allowed the die to return back to the cage for check out.

I own one that I cherry picked from a dealer.

The certified numbers are skewed low because the value for one in MS-63 is still under $20

8. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Any idea of the number of 1972-D "NO FG" Kennedy Halves struck? I am assuming the die was at mid to late die state when it was over-polished / abraded and ended up striking a limited number of coins after that.

9. Gary 090709

Gary 090709 New Member

I have a 1972 Kennedy half dollar with fg on it clearly but what does the I under in god for

10. 19Lyds

Polishing and Abrading are synonomous.

Perhaps you can find an 1982 No FG at MS63 for under $20 but no way in hell can you even come close to a 1972-D No FG in MS63 for less than $500. 1982 had a very high distribution with only the highest MS grades showing any real value.

Typically, MS66 brings more than $100 whereas MS67 can get well into 4 figures without the decimal point.

Unknown but finding them in MS is a huge challenge simply because collectors in 1972 simply did not hang on to a coin which looked like it was Circulated which is the case for the 1972-D No FG.

There's also the fact that the Kennedy Half was included in the US Mint Uncirculated Sets so even original ROLLS of 1972-D Kennedy's are difficult to locate. Very Few individuals stuck away rolls of CnClad coins simply because, at the time, there was no upside.

I would speculate that a Mint Sealed bag of 1972-D Kennedy Half Dollars would bring many, many multiples over face value just for the outside chance than an MS example of the 1972-D No FG might reside inside.

11. 19Lyds

?? HMMMMM.gif

12. Sidingguy

Sidingguy New Member

Now, I have to go through all of my Kennedy Half dollars ( and there is a lot of them) Just to (probably) rule out any possibility that I happen to overlooked one or more and have put them either in albums, slabs , or some other method of storage)
    I have a ton of mint sets and proof sets to go thru ( bought many when they first came out thinking that they would have included Ike dollars by then..

13. 19Lyds

There are no No FG Kennedy's in US Mint Sets.

14. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Of course it exists, it just isn't worth anything

19Lyds likes this.
  15. shotgung

shotgung New Member

Here's my 1972-D no FG I found last night. I also have a 1982-P as well.

Attached Files:

16. Histman

Histman Too Many Coins, Not Enough Time!

Okay folks. Just got a camera system and wanted to look at a half dollar I've had for awhile. Let me know your thoughts on pictures, but also the 72-D No FG. Thanks!

Mon Jan 08 19-51-33.jpg Mon Jan 08 19-00-26.jpg Mon Jan 08 18-55-59.jpg Mon Jan 08 18-57-26.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg

17. Donald Williams

Donald Williams New Member

Hello,
    I have a 1974 Kennedy half dollar with no FG on it. Is it worth anything?

18. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

2 years of searching boxes has yielded me these. Others here have found more. You can see them by searching through the crh thread. 20181230_190348.jpg Actually, we do find them in boxes but they will never be in MS condition. I found this one last night. 20181230_190311-1.jpg 20181230_190251-1.jpg

19. camel1971

camel1971 New Member

Pardon my density...so for a half-dollar to have increased value... because of the lack of the FG, there must not be even the faintest mark of the designer's intials? I found a few with rather faint initials...so return these and keep searching?

20. Michael Sherrouse

Michael Sherrouse New Member

Dumb question i have a 71 half dollar with a clear g on it but no fg. Is this common

21. Insaneranger

Insaneranger New Member

I have a 1972 with no mint mark and no "FG". Does it have any value?

Draft saved Draft deleted