Clamshell Lamination 1920D Mercury Dime

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Seattlite86, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I've never seen clamshell lamination, so I felt like I had to purchase this coin when I saw it. Please post your own if you have any clamshell lamination coins.

I know it's damaged, but when I paid less than $15 for it, it seemed like a reasonable purchase, as submitting a coin would cost me more than that.

I had some issues on eBay with the seller (rather the seller claimed to have issues with paypal, but was great with his communication). After giving him time to figure it out, I now have a tracking number, so I feel comfortable posting the seller's photos.

1920D obv.jpg 1920D rev.jpg

Heavymetal likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

4. paddyman98

5. Seattlite86

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. paddyman98

@Seattlite86
    The only thing I don't understand is how silver planchet has a clamshell lamination when my clad quarter is obvious. The clad opened up.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. Seattlite86

Yeah, it is strange. Part of why it appealed to me :) I'll try to take some good photos of it when it arrives.

8. paddyman98

Ha.. I do know.
    There are 2 types of clamshell laminations -
    First is a Clad issue such as mine where the clad becomes detached from the copper core.
    Second.. A partially split Planchet such as your silver coin. I have seen a Clamshell Lamination on a solid Nickel.

9. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

So does that make It a Clamination error? :banghead: (Haven't had any coffee yet this morning)

paddyman98 and Seattlite86 like this.
  10. Seattlite86

I didn't mean to say it wasn't possible, just that it's interesting. I'm happy with the purchase :)

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. Seattlite86

:hilarious:

paddyman98 likes this.
  12. Seattlite86

Photographing this was rather difficult. We don’t have strong lighting in our home. I might try tomorrow for better shots in the sunlight. The splitting is rather pronounced and the reverse is bent backwards because of it. Too bad about the damage, though I doubt I could’ve afforded it if it weren’t details graded.

FEBDCE16-067A-4BC4-B954-2DF1346DE390.jpeg F38CCEBB-F275-49BF-935B-B1CA6B860573.jpeg 1756BA74-6472-47FB-B636-7DB9FE9A0D64.jpeg BBB89E69-1802-4D91-8FAF-90FA3DD4BF9B.jpeg 117621EB-C9A3-4F40-8569-04ADAF8D00AD.jpeg D2645A35-182F-4495-BF5B-50993E30F231.jpeg

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  13. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

A "clamshell' silver, copper, or nickel coin
    is just an advanced version of a lamination -

Same cause - improper metal mixture.
    On the surface, they're laminations.

If the improper metal mixture was in the
    center of the planchet strip, it too will
    'laminate', but in the middle of the coin,
    instead of on the surface.

Clad Clamshells are from improper BONDING
    of the three layers.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  14. Seattlite86

Thanks for the breakdown. It’s a very interesting outcome on a coin. I’m happy to add it to my collection. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted