Cladius Gothicus finaly got one

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by bcuda, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

I bought a few lots from the sale, but when I look through the catalogue again and see all the wonderful pieces that I lost an on which I will probably never get a second chance, that hurts.

Roman Collector likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Great coins, @Tejas

I recently photographed a Claudius II coin that I bought this fall:

Claudius II G.jpg

Claudius II Gothicus AD 268-270. Billon Antoninianus, Siscia

Obverse: IMP CLAVDIVS AVG: Bust of Claudius Gothicus, radiate, cuirassed, right
    Reverse: PAX AVG: Pax, draped, standing left, holding olive-branch in right hand and sceptre in left hand
    Reference: RIC 186, RCV 11355
    Size: 19 mm., 2,63 g. Conservation: good very fine

bcuda, Tejas, Bing and 4 others like this.
  4. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

I agree that Claudius Gothicus was one of the unsung heroes of the dismal third century for the Roman Empire. Thank you everyone for sharing.

TETClaudiusII.jpg
    TETClaudiusIIr.jpg
    (My visitor, not my picture.)

It is always good to review the more obscure emperors:

5. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

My favorite Claudius is this Antioch ant with decent silvering, BIG flan, and an unusual left facing bust.
    Claudius II RIC Antioch 212 (2020_11_18 03_38_31 UTC).JPG

6. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

I have this common Claudius II Antoninian, but the legend always struck me as odd.
    Much of the obverse legend is off flan, but the emperor's name should be discernible, only that it isn't. I read something like ALLIIIIVS AVG or similar.Or could this be Aurelianus, i.e. ... LIANVS AVG? Hm, I had this one down as Claudius II and I bought it as Claudius II, but I guess it is Aurelianus. If it is, the portrait is remarkably close to that of Claudius.

Screenshot 2020-12-19 at 16.21.23.png

bcuda, Bing, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  7. Claudius_Gothicus

Claudius_Gothicus Well-Known Member

8. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Yeah, the coins of Aurelian were pretty ragged and ugly until his coinage reform.

bcuda likes this.
  9. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

It’s sometimes difficult to tell coins of Aurelian, Quintillus, and Claudius apart. In the early years, Aurelian evidently hadn’t evolved his giraffe neck yet

bcuda likes this.
  10. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Somehow I prefer Aurelian's pre-reform coins to the later ones. I think the post-reform Antoniniae can look a bid sterile. I love those early lifelike portraits of Aurelian. Here is a nice one from my collection:

Screenshot 2020-12-20 at 09.49.20.png

11. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

But of course, by far not all of Aurelian's post-reform portraits are sterile. Just look at this coin. Aurelian wearing a lorica hamata and full title as god and lord:

Screenshot 2020-12-20 at 17.17.28.png

This coin I missed in an auction many years ago. It still hurts.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted