Clad quarter that rings like silver

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by EdGs, Jul 25, 2013.

1. EdGs

EdGs Member

I dug some change from my pocket today and heard what sounded as if I had a silver coin in there, but when I checked , all that I had were clad quarters. the one in question is a 1974 and it is definately clad.

That ringing sound is very similar to the way a 90% silver one sounds when dropped on a table, but not quite, and it definately rings different than other clad quarters do,

Any thoughts on this?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Damned Chinese........

Rickipedia likes this.
  4. Rickipedia

Rickipedia Korean YN at 12

Weigh it and post the weight.

5. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

D***(BEEP) Chinese.:p

Rickipedia likes this.
  6. ReaperRuler

ReaperRuler Resident Numismatist

I had the same thing happen to me except it was a 1965 clad quarter. However, I am just assuming its solely clad

7. EdGs

EdGs Member

I thought maybe the clad composition could be a little different in places on the planchets. I was really hoping it was silver when I first heard it. It's always nice to get a little bonus in pocket change.

I would imagine that a 1965 quarter struck on a silver planchet would be quite the error.

I will weigh it tomorrow and post the results.

8. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

How could a silver planchet still be at the mint in 1974 ? It has to be clad or a fake error.

9. EdGs

EdGs Member

Doug, I think you misunderstood me. The '74 I have is definately clad, no question about it.

When Reaper posted about a similar thing with a '65 he had, I was saying that a '65 struck on silver would be one hell of an error to have. It would even seem actually possible with a '65 because of the changeover to clad, JMO. In 1974, definately no chance.

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Just goes to show that while the ring test is a good tool, it is not infallible.

11. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

I believe there are recorded examples of 1965 quarters struck on silver planchets, at least according to "Strike it Rich".

12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

:)

13. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

There is a possibility this coin could have just been post-mint heat treated, probably cooled extremely fast. If it's weight checks out, this would be a likely explanation.

14. ReaperRuler

ReaperRuler Resident Numismatist

Not to derail the thread any, but the interesting part about my example is it weighs in at 5.8g which, according to the Redbook, is the weight of the bicentennial silver clad coinage. This is odd because it would match his 1974 closer than my 1965. Mine could be clad, but in 1965, I would expect a silver planchet rather than a silver-clad one.

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Is the coin in question a 1974, or a 1974-D? I don't think there is any chance of a 1974 quarter being struck of a silver planchet but there IS a very slight chance that a 74-D quarter could be struck on a 40% silver planchet.

16. EdGs

EdGs Member

The coin weighs just under 5 grams and it shows plenty of wear. I also weighed a state quarter and it was between 5.6 and 5.7 grams. Conder, it is a 1974, and definitely clad. Will post some pics if I can get a decent shot of it.

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Only thing i can assume is that is is struck on a planchet punched from rolled thin strip. I considered if it might be punched from dime stock strip but it is too heavy for that. (Quarter on dime stock would weigh 4.18 grams)

green18 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted