Civil War Tokens?...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by AtlantaMan, Jun 20, 2024.

1. AtlantaMan

AtlantaMan Member

Hi- do you allow discussion about, or have a forum for, Civil War Tokens?
    Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

coin chat, us coins forum or even general chat all acceptable for CWTs. We have more then a few here that collect them (myself included) I'll also add unlike a lot of other coin forums I've been a part of, we here at cointalk tend to be a bit more relaxed...

well except for Doug, but we try not to let him out of his closet too often :D

Last edited: Jun 20, 2024
  4. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Tell us more if you will

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  5. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Coin Talk is a fine forum for CWT. I have a small but decent collection of them. Welcome to CT.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  7. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

BTW. Zoid is an Atlanta man as well.

Z

IMG_3426.JPG IMG_3430.JPG IMG_3419.JPG IMG_3418.JPG

8. Eric the Red

Eric the Red Exploring the World of Coins Supporter

9. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Here we go again.
    Sigh.....

10. Timewarp

Timewarp Intrepid Traveler

I also have a small collection of CWTs. It all started with finding my first while metal detecting.
    George B. Ames.jpg

11. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Store Card, F-630I-1A.
    20200606_171932.jpg 20200606_171920.jpg

12. AtlantaMan

AtlantaMan Member

Many thanks all for the warm welcome and the great pictures! I am totally clueless about CWT, so I will post some pictures of what I think might be of value to see if I am off-base or not. Appreciate it!

Eric the Red and Timewarp like this.
  13. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Dude. Post them

14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Can’t wait to see them.

15. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

This might get you a little less "clueless."

Civil War Tokens are divided into three broad categories.

The Patriotic Tokens cannot be attributed to specific issuer. They can be pro-union, anti-union (the "unpatriotics") and neutral. They are listed by die variety numbers. Since the dies can be mixed in many combinations, that system works best.

This is a pro-Union Monitor token, for the Union ironclad ship.

237 423 Mon All.jpg

This is a pro-Southern "copperhead." If you look at the words on the cuffs you will see "North" and "South." The image is of two equal nations, separate, but in friendship. This is all the South wanted.

418-118 All.jpg

The Store Card Tokens can be attributed to a specific issuer or business. They often include the address of the business in their designs. The variety numbers start with a state code (postal abbreviations are used) for the location of the issuer, a town code and then a letter for the name of the business. The letters are alphabetical according to the business name. For example "Abbots store" would probably be among the first. "Zerbe's store" would be among the last.

This piece was issued by a druggist who was selling hair dye. The variety is MI 770 C-1a.

MI 770 C All.jpg

The Sutler Tokens were issued by merchants who supplied goods to the soldiers in the field. Almost all of these tokens are rare and expensive.

This was issued by a sutler named Benton. He served the first regiment of the V Illinois.

Benton Sutler All.jpg

16. AtlantaMan

AtlantaMan Member

Thanks all for the pictures. I have at least one of the Monitor and one of "peace forever" one plus a bunch of others - one of which has "John Bell" on it and some others with flags and such. It is a little bit late in the day, but I promise I will go through some and post the ones which I think are probably the best. Many thanks!

17. AtlantaMan

AtlantaMan Member

Hi All - I sincerely appreciate the good guidance on CWTs! As promised, I have posted four of mine in the "What it's worth" section of the forum. They are posted under AtlantaMan and start with "CWT - 1863..." I have a flag/shoot them, a beehive industry, a Congress and a George/Peace Forever. At least, it sort of looks like George. It's just what I thought is an interesting smattering of the collection. Anyway, I'd welcome your thoughts if you care to take a look and offer them.
    Many thanks!

mrweaseluv likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted