Civil War Token-1863 New York

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Collecting Nut, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Obverse-shield on top of a star with Date below. An 1863 and just below the date are the initials E. S. On outer edge from left to right it reads: PRO BONO PUBLICO
    Reverse-a thin wreath with small letters inside the wreath NEW YORK
    IMG_5460.JPG IMG_5461.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Sigel's Star and shield obverse, die 191.
    Sigel's NY5 reverse, Die 443
    In reference to the slaves following the north star to freedom.

fretboard and Collecting Nut like this.
  4. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

That is first time I have read that interpretation. That interpretation is most often associated with this piece, the "North Star" token. This is a very scarce Civil War token.

North Star.jpg

And this patriotic cover envelope.

North Star Env.jpg

I am not saying that you are wrong. Siigel might well have intended that, but the star and union shield usually as associated with the North.

I interpret “Pro Bono Publico” to mean “For the benefit of the public,” which covers the less important goal of having this piece take the place of cents, which have been hoarded and are out of circulation.

5. Collecting Nut

Two different but great interpretations.

fretboard likes this.
  6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Wow, amazing Token and envelope as well. I've never come across your Token, ever, must be a rarity! :D

Nice Token as well! ;) Years ago, I started collecting CWT's but the prices drove me away very quickly! :)

Collecting Nut likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Some of them do get costly.

8. johnmilton

The "North Star" token is listed in Fuld as 250/437a. While reviewing this token in the latest CWT reference book for the patriotic tokens, I found an editing difference. The "250" die spot says it's an R-6, 21 to 75 known while the "437" spot says it's an R-5, 76 to 200 known. If it's an R-5, it's what they call "a high R-5." I would say that there are less than 100 known.

If you think that they were expensive then, you should see the prices now. Of course a lot of the price inflation is on the Red Mint State pieces. I like Mint State, but I am not a fan of the red color. It can too often come out of a bottle and turn on you after you own it.

fretboard likes this.
  9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

From what I have read. Anytime that the five pointed star was used on civil war tokens, it was used in reference to freedom.
    That know that is fairly vague, I haven't studied much in depth on the subject.

10. johnmilton

The stars on the American flag have five points. Ditto for the stars on the four versions of the Confederate flag that the South approved during the war. Maybe the five pointed star met freedom, but it was used by both sides.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted