Civil War Patriotic / Lincoln Medal GTG

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jester3681, May 24, 2017.

1. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Hello all! I bought this token at Heritage last year, and just heard back from NGC about the grade. This is a tough type - figured it'd be a great Guess the Grade for us!

The pictures below are from the Heritage Auction. This is a Fuld 127/401 in German Silver, also known as AL 1864-60 in DeWitt/Sullivan or King #214, and is Rarity 9. As a teaser, Heritage called it XF - were they right? ;)

lf.jpg lf (1).jpg

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    ddddd likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

AU Details Corrosion ?
    Just taking a guess. The details look strong, I'm assuming it is a weak strike on the shield? Was NGC able to conserve those spots or are they permanent?

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

tough one, I would guess XF, details for the spots?

5. jester3681

I will add this for the masses - this token received a problem free grade. The spots look much worse in the photo than in hand - they are superficial and have not damaged the surface, but are not able to be removed.

ddddd likes this.
  6. ddddd

ddddd Member

I'll update my guess to AU 50

7. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I don't see any remaining luster from that photo and combination of wear and weak strike, I say XF40

8. jester3681

Drumroll: NGC graded this one as MS61 - I don't disagree. The type is almost always struck weakly in the center of both sides, so the grades end up being based primarily on the devices around the edges. I felt that Heritage was conservative in their listing. Happy to give this one a home.

ddddd likes this.
  9. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

10. ed wood 654

ed wood 654 Grader & Entrepreneur /Aviation Executive

I would say its a MS61

Kentucky likes this.
  11. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I agree with the uncirculated grade. That's a cool token!

12. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I've followed a link to this and have a grading tip that for you all as I'm :angelic: sure Mr. Ed knows this :bookworm: and could explain it much better :yack::yack::yack::yack::yack: now that I mentioned it.

Although this is just a photo, and it is very hard to see the token's luster, the first thing I noticed was no detail on the head. In a blink, I saw the rough ORIGINAL surface where the design was missing = not wear but flat strike. Due to the image, it is more difficult to apply this tip to the reverse.

Anything to add?

13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

MY LORD...ANOTHER SCORE!

14. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Oh no, I was thinking the token was under graded but look inside the "UR." Baking soda residue from a cleaning! That's why only a 61. My guess the color is too "white" and perhaps continuous hairlines (61) we don't see at this angle.

15. jrw711

jrw711 Member

It may be a typo in your post, but your Lincoln is 127/201 GS and in the 5th Edition Fuld changed to R-8. It definitely is very rare and would be a nice addition to one's Lincoln Campaign/Patriotic Token collection.

Draft saved Draft deleted