Civil war coin ""Shoot em on the spot ""

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by ssnuffy, Dec 9, 2010.

1. ssnuffy

ssnuffy New Member

1863 Civil War Coin. The flag of our Union on one side in incredible detail XF/AU,, The other side says,,"If anybody attempts to tear it down,,Shoot him on the spot. Whats it worth and where to market it? alroth@hbci.com Thnx Al

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Laxmaster92

Laxmaster92 Senior Member

[​IMG]

Worth about $20

4. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Your link takes me to a generic sponsor site. Nothing there.

5. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

6. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

If it is an AU53/55 It would be around $30. The Red Book lists common types in AU at $40.

7. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

The token would have to be identified before a value can be determined. There are 12 "Flag of Our Union" dies and 10 "Shoot Him on the Spot" dies. Throw in the possible metals with pairings of those two dies, and there are 31 possible id numbers. A common variety in XF would be worth around $20 as Laxmaster92 said, but a scarce variety could be worth over several thousand. I would be glad to id it for you. Photos would make it easy, but it can be determined by written communication if need be. How to market it would be determined by its rarity and value.

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Since there seems to be a problem with the images for this thread, I'm posting a token of the general type in case there is someone unfamiliar with them. Sorry it is no AU but it is what I have on file. Perhaps someone will want to point out the differences that make common and rare dies distinct from each other. While very common and not high priced, I consider this patriotic token something even non token collectors might want to add to a general US collection because of its 'attitude'.

Attached Files:

9. Laxmaster92

Laxmaster92 Senior Member

Yes, thats what I was referring to, Thanks

10. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

I can point out some of the differences between dies, but it would be hard to point out in general terms which features of a die make a particular token rare. A die may be common when paired with one die, but rare when paired with another, or it may be common in one metal and rare in a different one. But, to identify how the dies may differ, here is a list of some of the easily seen differences:

Obverse dies:
    either a diamond or 1863 below the flag
    the flag may have 25 stars & 5 bars, 25 stars & 6 bars, 26 stars & 6 bars, 30 stars & 6 bars, or 36 stars & 5 bars
    the top right star may be at the corner of the flag, or below the corner
    the right edge of the flag may be straight or curved, and there are different curves
    the right end of the top bar of the flag may be straight or curved
    the first column of stars may touch the left side of the flag, or not
    there are various combinations of the above features

Reverse dies:
    inner circle may be beaded or ropelike
    may have the word "SPOT" or "SPOOT"
    there may be a middle circle, or not
    there are a number of variances of lettering position between dies
    there are various combinations of the above features

Draft saved Draft deleted