Civil War bill, viewing purposes

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Squaredeal, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

Just wanted to show this bill, what a rare piece of history from the civil war. fr16c front.JPG fr16c back.JPG

Rickipedia, heuvy31 and x115 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very cool. :cool:

4. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

An interesting tidbit on something on the note, in the centre notice the ascending numerals 1, 2, 3. The $1 and the $2 were realised - but the $3 bill was panned before it's release. The $3 denomination was actually fairly popular during that time, many obsolete banks used it - and the $3 coin was of course in circulation.

CoinMike747 and Squaredeal like this.
  5. x115

x115 Collector

thats a very nice note. high grade!

6. x115

x115 Collector

my only 1862 note is this low grade $10 Lincoln 1.jpeg 2.jpeg

Rickipedia and Squaredeal like this.
  7. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

interesting info for sure! I had the $2 also but disposed of it, it was only grade 30, ive been focusing on retaining high grade examples from my collection. Mostly mint state bills Ive kept, seems like those are the way to go in terms of long-term value appreciation. $3 dollar bills are such an oddity, it almost seems to declare itself as a fake or reproduction to the current mindset in people. We have a 3 dollar Louisiana obsolete note, that we all considered fake until I posted on these forums. I demanded we kept it because of its artistic appeal at the least, not worth a lot, but history is worth as much as eye appeal to me, good thing I like the art work :)

8. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

Beautiful note!

As far as odd denominations, the $3 bill was pretty common place. How about these:

1.34.jpg 1.75.jpg 4.5.jpg 4.jpg 6.5.jpg 7.5.jpg 9.jpg 11.jpg 15.jpg 18.34.jpg

9. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

those are incredible, many times in my life the joke was made indicating the reason for existence of coins was to avoid notes like you posted. (odd denomination) What is the history behind them, were they made for a specific sector of trade with fixed prices equal to those bill values? I thought the 3 dollar note/coin, and fractional currency were unique in this aspect, but you have shown me a whole different set of things to watch :p

10. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

The bills above - the 6.25 cent and 18.75 cent notes were recognition of Spanish or Mexican reales in circulation at the time. Sometimes the other dollar denominations were made for a local purpose - perhaps a days or weeks wages for workers in mines etc.

The $3 denomination lasted with obsoletes/private banks/municipalities etc into the 1870s(ie the evasion period where they were illegal under Federal laws):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted