City of Aspendos

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Shrews1994, Dec 4, 2019 at 3:26 PM.

1. Shrews1994

Shrews1994 KIND OF A BIG DEAL.

Got something today!! Ancient Greek silver coin!!!!!! This is my very first silver one. Very heavy and thick

In southern Asia Minor their very first coin type a very thick archaic silver stator 10.82 grams. 465 - 430 B.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Shrews1994

4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper Supporter

Wow, the Moto Z4 takes some nice photos... and oh yeah, nice coin and excellent hand modeling skills there. :D

Shrews1994 likes this.
  5. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Congrats on your first Greek silver! But be careful: these coins are known to be addictive.

I very much like this type. They were considered rare until recently, but there seems to have been a larger hoard find. Now is the time to buy one, I reckon.
    Magna Graecia – Pamphylien, Aspendos, Stater, Krieger Triskele.png
    Aspendos, Pamphylia, AR stater, ca. 465–430 BC. Obv: Warrior walking r., holding sword and shield. Rev: Triskeles, two test cuts. 17mm, 10.91g. Ref: SNG France 1–11.

And here is the younger type of Aspendos stater, one of my favourite hauls from AMCC 1:
    Magna Graecia – Pamphylien, Aspendos, Stater, Schleuderer:Ringer.png
    Pamphylia, Aspendos, AR stater, 380–325 BC. Obv: two wrestlers grappling; FИ between; in exergue, EΛVΦA MENETVΣ. Rev: slinger in throwing stance r.; EΣTFEΔIIYΣ to l., triskele to r.; all within dotted square border. 23mm, 11.04g. Ref: SNG France 97–98; Tekin: Aspendian Wrestlers (2000), series 4.

6. Shrews1994

Lol thanks for that. And yeah the Moto z4 is a great phone.

7. Shrews1994

Yes it is very addictive. Yeah I was reading about that. This was gifted to me from @Valentinian he said he recently bought a hoard.

8. Shrews1994

I was looking up the prices of these. They really go up in price. They are such an amazing coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted