City Commemoratives - Lugdunum

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by maridvnvm, Jun 18, 2018.

1. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Nothing earth shattering but as always I seem to continue with my scatter gun approach to hoarding.

I have always had a liking for Lugdunum and added two more to my LRB Lugdunum hoard.

RI_161ax_img.jpg RI_161ay_img.jpg

TJC, gogili1977, randygeki and 33 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

They're both beautiful but I really like the detail in Lupin!

4. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

the Lugdunum Constantinopolis issues also come with a fancy shield variety.

Lyons_246.jpg

5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice @maridvnvm , I like the coloring and patinas on yours.

Hey! I believe I have a Lugdunum Commem!

upload_2018-6-18_7-57-8.png
    RI ROMA CE 330-331Commem AE Follis 2.6g 20x16mm Lugdunum VRBS ROMA She-wolf Twins Stars RIC VII 247
    Ex: @John Anthony

6. maridvnvm

@Victor_Clark Your fancy shield is better defined than mine....

RI_161x_img.jpg

7. maridvnvm

There is a range in the depiction of Victory too with regards to wing spread

RI_161ac_img.jpg RI_161al_img.jpg RI_161z_img.jpg

8. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

It looks much better in hand
    *PLG
    IMG_4902.JPG IMG_4903.JPG

9. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

You're showing some nice examples Martin. Great to see.

The variation on the wing spread seems to vary by the series, since all three you are showing have different series marks. Presumably you already know that since you have arranged them chronologically by series.

Do you have the other two marks (simple crescent and wreath) and the size change? They round out the developmental picture.

10. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Great to see these beautiful examples from the city of Lyon. BTW, I will be tomorrow in the roman theater in Lyon for a concert. Great place and great ambiance

[​IMG]

Q

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Whenever we show this type coin, we really should give the weight or at least mention whether it was from the heavy series that accompanied the 2 soldiers, 2 standards coins or the 2 soldiers 1 standard reduced series. The fact that the types are split between RIC volumes VII and VIII make the weights helpful in finding everything.

We also might mention the presence of the helmet plume as on Alegandron's coin above. Most UR coins have it but some are larger than others. I do not know the significance of that feature compared to such reverse details as the wingspan.

Andres2 likes this.
  12. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

Ah, hmmmm. Mostly that's true, but for Lugdunum, the boys did not use the Constantinopolis type (hence not in RIC VIII). The size change to which I was in reference comes into play in 335. Compare:
    cnopl02-jk03-01-mr02-sm.jpg
    On the left is RIC VII 241 for Lyons at 2.41g and 17mm.
    On the right is RIC VII 273 for Lyons at 1.39g and 13x14mm.

The former is 330-331 AD, the latter is 335. This is a rather extreme example of the later coin, I have another with a 16mm flan that fits better but only weighs 1.77g. Not sure what the average weight would be for this later series.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    Okidoki, randygeki, dlhill132 and 5 others like this.
  13. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Were they pcop987 purchases Martin?

14. maridvnvm

They were indeed.... many thanks.

15. Victor_Clark

at that size, I would be inclined to think it was an unofficial issue. There were many of these small unofficial Constantinopolis types struck.

plus, it has a wreath in the left field; which would be RIC 259, before the standard change.

16. maridvnvm

I am slowly gathering examples from this mint so there are lots of gaps. I don;t have all the issues yet. I get too easily distracted. Sometimes I have both officina.

The range in robes is huge too. You could spend ages on just this series collecting little variations.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Andres2, Okidoki, randygeki and 8 others like this.
  17. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

Here is one of my pcop987 purchase. Thank you! It does need a repicture.

[​IMG]

Okidoki, randygeki, dlhill132 and 5 others like this.
  18. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

Good eye, Victor!! Thanks. But I think the wreath is in the wrong place for #259. His siglum for the short series of which 259 is a part shows an exergal wreath followed by PLG. 259 is not illustrated in RIC. Bruun defers to LRBC for the introduction of the issue, but they only illustrate the mark as Bruun did. However, they also did that for the mark with a palm branch, and then on the right of the listings show an style with the palm branch above the exergual line.

The British Museum has an example but its illustration is not on display. Their coin weighs 1.98g. Before I plop down 60GBP for pics of the two sides, I need to be sure there isn't something out there already.

Can anyone here turn up a pic of RIC VII Lyons 259?

For the time being I am classing my 13x14mm example as "irregular" pending further digging.

So, Martin, forget the attribution I gave the little coin above. Here is a more likely example of RIC VII Lyons 273 alongside the larger version:

RIC VII Lyons 241 and 273 (L to R)
    cnopl03-col2-01-mr02-sm.jpg

The coin on the right is the one I mentioned earlier weighing 1.77g and measuring 16mm, corresponding to the reduction of 335 alongside the Gloria Exercitus, single standard.

Okidoki, randygeki, Bing and 4 others like this.
  19. Victor_Clark

Bastien has examples with it in the exergue and in the field, #243a & 243b and calls both RIC 259. Both are shown in the plates.

La couronne se trouve dans le champ a gauches (no 243a) ou a l'exergue (no 243b)

The BM example is in the exergue

dlhill132 likes this.
  20. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the word about the BM example; I will save my money.

So you have seen images of both styles. Great! How do they stack up for size or overall appearance in comparison with the coin I showed here? Similarity of my coin with 243a? (which I assume to have the wreath above the exergual line). Is the wreath in left field (he says "gauches" which I believe is "left")?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  21. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted