Circulation two dollar bills

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by cplradar, Feb 28, 2021.

1. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

We had a holdiday thhis weekend when we exchange a lot of charity and as part of collecting, I came accross a rare $2 bill!

IMG_6990.JPG IMG_6989.JPG

mike estes and Penny Luster like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Wizank

Wizank Well-Known Member

My wife and I like to get a bundle of these and include them in our gifts and tips to hardworking folks at restaurants. You can order them at your bank in most cases. I also like to tip using dollar coins and half dollar coins. Many people really appreciate getting them and it brings a nice smile.

mike estes likes this.
  4. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

One of the best traveling road teams in College Football is the Clemson Tigers football team. From the sleepy town of Pickens in northwest South Carolina, the Clemson fan base wanted to illustrate their economic impact on the cities they visit. Their calling card is a Tiger Paw stamped, modern two dollar bill. They use it everywhere they go, in the local restaurants, entertainment venues and businesses. I worked at the Mercedes-Benz dealership catty-corner to Raymond James Stadium during the 2017 National College Championship game pitting the Clemson Tigers against the Alabama Crimson Tide and received these two Tiger Paw stamped $2 notes.

F80310B5-33C0-442A-9F37-D3D6C28C0EA0.jpeg

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Neat. Sadly enough there are many people are not aware that there is a $2.00 bill that can actually be used for payment. I read a few stories of young cashiers and managers who have called the authorities because a customer tried to make a payment using a $2.00 bill.. They did not know what it was and have never heard of them. They thought it was a fake!.. so sad :facepalm:

xCoin-Hoarder'92x and 1stSgt22 like this.
  6. AZSteve

AZSteve Well-Known Member

I can count on two hands the number of times I have gone to my CU for coins in the last 6 months and a teller has said "I have $2 dollar bills if you want some!"

1stSgt22 likes this.
  7. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

If your lucky some people will accept canadian dollars for payment.

8. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

Had it happen to me. Got 10 Jeff 2 dollar notes last year at local branch bank. Kept two & decided to put the others back in circulation. Tried to included them in with grocery purchase & cashier had to call the manager. Had to get both of them to look up 2 dollar bills on their I-phones for verification. Woman in line behind me snagged those 8 bills up & said she would include them in a card for her daughter's upcoming 16th birthday. Hope they put a smile on the recipient's face.

beaver96 likes this.
  9. mike estes

mike estes Well-Known Member

hey cplradar thats a nice little find. great job. hey SteveInTampa thats a really great story and a really great idea that the fan base put together. great job man....

10. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

We still print them, in fact the BEP printed some in 2019.

11. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

I get a bunch of them from the bank and use them for tips and to pay for small items and never once have they been questioned, so I guess people in Montana know they are legal tender. LOL

JPD3 likes this.
  13. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I went to a Dollar Tree in January. My total came to $7.20. I gave the cashier a quarter, three ones, and two twos. Everything was fine until the cashier counted the bills and came to the two twos. He literally called the manager on a phone and had the manager verify that they could be accepted and were genuine! The manager took them away and scratched the bills with his fingernail. He brought them back and said they're good.

I made a comment about the younger generation not understanding what's legal tender and who in their right mind would counterfeit a two dollar bill and bring even more unwanted attention from using this denomination. The manager was all, "Oh, we've seen everything counterfeited including ones." I said even twos? He said not them, no. It was an annoying and unnecessary situation but one that was not too surprising based on similar stories I've read before.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  14. Kashmir Pulaski

Kashmir Pulaski Well-Known Member

OK. I apologize. I don't get it.

What makes the original bill of this post rare?

masterswimmer likes this.
  15. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

They give them in change at strip clubs, so you are tipping the girls $2 instead of $1. But I wouldn't know anything about that.

Kashmir Pulaski and midas1 like this.
  16. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

The OP’s note is not rare. You don’t see them too often in circulation, and that may have been their point.

17. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I have deals with my several credit unions, the tellers don't care too much for $2's because they don't usually have a drawer slot for them and they see them as a nuisance. So I take all their $2s on hand, in return they save me any silver coin they come across and I buy that. I usually use the $2's to give out as tips in restaurants etc. With the Covidemic I give them out to servers bringing my vittles out to the car.

Nobody has indicated they don't like getting them - in fact, several have expressed appreciation for the thoughtfulness of giving them something "so rare".

18. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Where they end up back at the tellers window so you can get more silver! Briliant!

Oldhoopster likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted