Circulated Goldbacks?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Lon Chaney, Feb 12, 2024.

1. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone has seen any. They are legal tender in a couple states, and stores can accept them, so in theory, there must be some circulated ones out there.
    Just curious how they hold up to circulation.

Eric the Red and SensibleSal66 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Nope. Just learned what they are now. Are they common in certain parts?

4. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

They're not "legal tender" anywhere, as states don't have the authority to decide what's legal tender. Merchants can of course choose to accept them in payment anyway, if they wish.

5. Lon Chaney

There are states where gold and silver have legal tender status. And these are gold.
    But regardless, you're right. Stores can accept whatever they want, legal tender or not. I could only sell newspapers for tootsie rolls if I wanted to.

I can't imagine they are common anywhere, but I see the draw, particularly in the western states. But I've never heard of these actually being used anywhere.

6. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

My LCS usually has a big supply of these on hand and I have actually been tempted to
    purchase however just not enough GOLD
    There for investment plus the fact that the premiums a very high.

7. Lon Chaney

Yes, as a way to stack gold, it's not a good option. If you buy into it as a viable alternative currency, that's different.
    And actually, it's more about what other people think about it. There are a lot of stores that accept these, particularly in Utah.
    https://www.goldback.com/featured-utah-businesses
    https://www.goldback.com/news/goldbacks-quietly-recognized-by-utah

With that said, I don't really have a horse in this race. I have a couple goldbacks, but more for fun than utility. I just wanted to see some circulated examples.

mpcusa likes this.
  8. Eric the Red

Eric the Red Exploring the World of Coins Supporter

I placed one in my wallet a few months back, kinda like a pocket piece or good luck charm. Surprisingly they hold up well, it still looks like the day I put it in there. It bent to form with the wallet, but didn’t crease.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  9. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

They are very attractive to look at, the art
    work is pretty amazing that’s one of the reasons I got in to military payment certificates :)

10. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

For members who have not seen these:

[​IMG]

Eric the Red, Lon Chaney and -jeffB like this.
  11. Lon Chaney

Draft saved Draft deleted