Circulated blank planchet

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by tomfiggy, Sep 20, 2015.

1. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

Image23454.jpg what do you all think of this coin I just found in a roll? Image23453.jpg Image23451.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

Possibility exists you were swindled :p

tomfiggy likes this.
  4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

It does have the upset rim required to classify it as a planchet.

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

yes, Type 2

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

If you squint your eyes real hard, you can see an outline of Lincoln and the word Liberty so I think you have a 100% grease filled die. :) lol

phankins11 likes this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If you look carefully, you can even see a doubled ear..... Where is @Rick Stachowski when you need him?

Upset rim.....dead giveaway of blank planchet.

Chris

8. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Here I am, with my double ear too 22 (2)-horz.jpg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    swamp yankee likes this.
  9. Rick Stachowski

Here a nice side way view A068 - 20150921_144147 (2).jpg

Paddy54 and Collecting Nut like this.
  10. tomfiggy

I found more junk eh? haha

11. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

I see something in that coin, I will have to study it further, oh wait, yes. Yes it is. I see it. I see it in the coin. You see it too, right? You see what I see, yes? I will have the proof in time. If you don't see it now, you will soon see it, all will see it, it will be clear to you all that you see what I see. I see it! You don't see it yet? I'll bet teachmind sees it! ;)

rickmp likes this.
  12. Rick Stachowski

I see " Jesus " in it ....

13. tomfiggy

Let me look around the yard for some mushrooms. Maybe i'll see it then...

rickmp likes this.
  14. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

BwaHahaha! Nice to see the shenanigans from the teachmind threads spilling over to other threads....oh man this was funny...

In all seriousness yes you found a planchet, pretty cool.

I have a theory as to why these are found like this. But I want to make sure I get the credit for it, so Im not going to say why until I have my proof....soon tho, very soon. I must figure out who deleted the pictures from my phone first...I know who you are

rickmp likes this.
  15. tomfiggy

It could be a dime planchet made from copper by mistake.

16. phankins11

@tomfiggy can you weight it...is it copper plated? From the pics it looks like a plated zinc planchet...the ones LMCs have been made out of since 1982.

These seem to be somewhat common.

For the longest time I could never figure out why, but at my last coin show I found out why. As we entered the show, they gave my son a sealed cello packet with two speparate compartments\bubbles. One bubble contained a 2013 Lincoln Cent and in the other bubble was a planchet. I dunno who or where they came from but the club had a ton of them and they were giving them out to the juniors when they came in.

My bet is these get popped out by uninterested folks, tossed in the change jar and then later wrapped or sent to coin star.

17. tomfiggy

I never found one before so I thought it might be special. After I posted I searched e-bay and there were a lot of them for not much money... I need to check e-bay BEFORE I get excited and post on here. At least it is a "real" error coin. hahaha

phankins11 likes this.
  18. phankins11

Heck Yeah! I would say who cares if you get excited over something not worth much money...its the thrill of the hunt, right? Keep it, its a great tool to learn from, and you can show someone what an LMC looks like before its minted into an LMC...

tomfiggy likes this.
  19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You found a real, honest to goodness US Mint error. Not worth a lot but finding it is more valuable than the value of selling it. In a few years you'll be showing and telling your Grandkids this story over and over. That's well worth the effort and it keeps the fun and interest in the hobby alive. :)

tomfiggy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted