Circulated 2009 3.2 Gram Penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Sean I Gonzales, May 7, 2020.

1. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

I think this is correct and almost complete...

https://2009lincolncents.com/bronze-2009-lincoln-cents/

When the Lincoln Cent debuted in 1909, the composition was 95% copper and 5% tin and zinc, or bronze. The composition was modified several times during the course of the next 100 years. In 1943, the composition was changed for one year to steel coated with zinc. Starting in 1962, the tin was permanently removed from the composition. Most recently in 1982, the was switched to copper coated zinc, with an overall composition 97.5% zinc and 2.5% copper.

The Bronze 2009 Lincoln Cents were only included in certain sets issued by the United States Mint for collectors. All 2009 Lincoln Cents issued for circulation or sold in the US Mint’s two roll sets have the standard zinc based composition.

The 2009 Proof Set and 2009 Silver Proof Set both contain Bronze 2009 Lincoln Cents produced at the San Francisco Mint with a proof finish. Additional products including the special composition proof coins are the 2009 Lincoln Coin and Chronicles Set and the separate 2009 Lincoln Bicentennial Proof Set.

The 2009 Mint Set contains Bronze 2009 Lincoln Cents produced at the Philadelphia and Denver Mints. These coins are struck with a special satin finish, used for the US Mint’s annual uncirculated Mint Sets.​

ldhair likes this.
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This was the first post the OP received and it answered the question. Great reply.
    All the OP had to do was read it.

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Mint set coins are NOT cameo. They had a "satin finish" that year which is not that much different than the finish seen on regular business strikes if the business strike die has just a little wear on it.

Draft saved Draft deleted