Circular Scuff Mark on Washington Quarters?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Triodeguy, May 21, 2017.

1. Triodeguy

Triodeguy New Member

I see many graded Washington's with a circular scuff mark that circles the whole coin near the rim. It passes the same in the field, on and in-between the numerals and letters. It also shows up typically on the reverse outside the right wing.
    I was told this occurs when the planchet spins before strike. Is that correct?
    The photo shows an example.
    wash41.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I don't know about a Planchet spinning before being struck but I know of 2 other issues. Die Deterioration and when Paper Rolls are crimped the coins are damaged in this manner

4. Triodeguy

Triodeguy New Member

I thought paper rolls also but it is on both sides of the coin and I see them on NGC and PCGS coins with no note of it.

5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I'm also thinking die deterioration. Also, is that your coin? Just asking because that date, specifically the 4, looks very interesting.

6. Triodeguy

Triodeguy New Member

No that is not my coin. I can't take a decent photo. But my coin is also the same DDO FS-102 as this internet image.

7. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

IMHO, it has nothing to do with paper coin rolling. Note that the areas of weakness where planchet metal did not fill the incuse relief design are also in the path of the circular "ring" characteristic. This is common on Washington Quarters. I believe this effect is due to a problem with the coin's strike and there is more than one cause of weak strikes on coins.

paddyman98 and Seattlite86 like this.
  8. Ditto

Ditto Member

I posted a thread May 6 2017 showing a 1977 Washington Quarter having a ring. The ring is much more defined. A dealor suggested die strike weakness but not 100% sure. Any thoughts appreciated.

9. Insider

He is correct however there is one type of "ring" that should be avoided at all costs. Counting machines can leave a much sharper and more defined "ring" of circular damage into the coin's surface near the rim that plows through any of the relief design. These marks are generally sharp and shiny while the surface of original coins that are weakly struck is dull and usually speckled with tiny marks that were not completely obliterated by the strike. That's why we know they result from the strike and not PMD.

10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

In the photo is that a 4/ over 4?

11. Triodeguy

Triodeguy New Member

Yes double die. But still no closer to what is the cause of the "ring" around the coin. If it was a worn die how can it be across the top of the date and and between the numbers of the date?

12. Triodeguy

Triodeguy New Member

I finally got a good photo of my coin. This is graded MS-64 by NGC so they did not have a problem with the ring. Any guesses to what can cause it to be on the Y of Liberty and the field adjacent?

Attached Files:

13. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

It's not physical wear, it's the die metal sinking. Pretty common.

14. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

interesting...

15. Triodeguy

Triodeguy New Member

I found this article that I think explains the circular mark perfectly. He says, "If one of the dies is loose as they come together to strike the coin, the loose die will twist slightly immediately as the hammer die starts to retract. This twisting die will actually cause some of the metal on the relief areas of the coin to “shear.” Remember that the relief area on the coin is the recessed area on the die."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...DF.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFn2i7XgnHCf9FhNWPvksBhs1em3Q

16. Insider

That's not what happened to this coin.

17. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

That is ONE Hundred percent Die wear.
    It looks like the end of an early die state.

Draft saved Draft deleted