Cilician Armenian Ag coin -- Trying to identify. Gosdantin IV?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by The Eidolon, May 24, 2020.

1. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

I got this a long time ago, maybe the mid-90s, from my then-local coin shop.
    The attribution said "Armenia 13th C Silver Tram $5.00"
    Current weight is about 1.61 g, irregular shape but about 19 mm diameter.
    Obverse is a king on horseback with a scepter.
    Reverse is a lion with a cross over its back.

It's struck off-center and worn, so I can't really make out the edge text.
    Just going by the closest match to the image on Numista, the closest I can find is this Cilician Armenian Takvorin of Gosdantin IV, which should be about 1.9 g. Could I be on the right track? Is a 15% weight loss from wear plausible? Some of the earlier coins are lighter, but don't look like a close match. I think I might see the "S" under the horse and the lion for this king, but I'm not confident.

Mostly I collect early modern coinage, so this is for away from my area of knowledge. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
    Ob.jpg Rev.jpg

Alegandron and furryfrog02 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I think you're OK with the ID, mine is below:

[​IMG]
    Constantine IV, King of Armenia *Gosdantin IV* (1365-1373 A.D.)
    AR Takvorin
    O: +ԿՈՍՏԸ(ԱՆԴԻՆ) (ԹԱԳԱ)ՈՐ ՀՈՑ, King riding right holding cross sceptre, below horse s
    R.+ՉԻՆԱԼ Ի ՔԱՂԱՔՆ Ի ՍԻՍ , lion right, right paw raised, cross in back, below s.
    Sis (now Kozan, Turkey) mint,
    18mm
    1.98g
    Bed.2106

Alegandron and The Eidolon like this.
  4. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

The takvorins of Gosdantin III and IV are almost impossible to distinguish. Here is a little guide on how to try nonetheless. I've just labelled mine "Gosdantin III/IV."

MA – Armenien, Gosdantin III.:IV., Takvorin.png
    Gosdantin III or IV, Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia, AR Takvorin, 1344–1373 AD, Sis or Tarsus mint. Reverse: Armenian legend, king riding r., holding lily sceptre. Rev: Armenian legend, lion with cross walking r. 23mm, 1.97g. Ref: Nercessian 471–478; 491–496. Doublestruck and/or overstruck.

The Eidolon likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted